Thinking about a cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Ok, i am going to be upgrading my 55 SW to a 110gal tank. so now I will have a 55 tank at my disposal. I was thinking about turning it into a cichlid tank as I currently have one very active female yellow lab in desperate need of a large home. I have never really done a full-out cichlid setup. The fish I have has always been kept in with non-cichlid species.
I do have a basic idea of what I want to do as far as the setup, something more natural looking almost like a river like setup with plants and logs and plenty of rocky hiding spots. But not quite sure about any really extra special requirments for cichlids. The one I have has been doing quite fine with mix-species of fishes, and has laid eggs multiple times (she's currently carrying a batch in her mouth right now) I wouldn't mind finding a good mate for her either, unfortunately not much for good stock around here.
As far as filtration I was thinking a basic HOB filter meant for a tank larger than the 55.
Though what other kind of fish would be ok with cichlids?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I suggest doing a Malawi-only setup. Your yellow lab will be the happiest if you keep her with other less aggressive malawi cichlids. A 55 gallon tank will be perfect!

Non-cichlid fish you *can* keep with Malawis are synodontis catfish from lake tangynika, plecos, and clown loaches - given then are all acclimatized properly.

Here's a picture of my 90 gallon Malawi setup (not current, the plants have grown lots since this pic, and theres way more fish ;) ):

Have a look at this site: http://www.malawimayhem.com if you are truely interested in doing a Malawi setup.

This article is great to help you get started too: http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_setup_01.shtml

HTH
:)
-Diana

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Nice tank. I really need to get a camera, especially once I get both these tanks set up. My 55 isn't much to look at right now. I plan on have a quite a bit of money in a month or so to spend on fishy stuff. YAY!!!

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Once again, I have to say: ATTACK OF THE DWARF CICHLIDS!!

Alright, I'll stop now. I still think that'd be cool though. Maybe I'll do it for my tank.

LuvMyKribs- great tank.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
I waqnt something not too many do around here
seems like almost everyone i know around here has cichlids. (Hell, even walmart is selling 'em for $3.49ea)

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
There are endless possibilities since there are SO many cichlids out there.... and theres good reason why they are so popular ;)

If you want to do something original then try to get your hands on a rare or endangered species, and try to breed them to maintain thier populations. Many of the species of Lake Victorian cichlids now only exist in the aquarium hobby, they are extinct in the wild. Its just one option....

But i highly suggest building the tank around a particular species or group of fish (like malawi cichlids) and make the tank suited to them. Dont try and mix a whole bunch of fish together, you'll likely then be keeping a species in there that doesnt suit the conditions.

:)
-Diana

ashleyruin

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2005
kittyhazelton said:
I waqnt something not too many do around here
seems like almost everyone i know around here has cichlids. (Hell, even walmart is selling 'em for $3.49ea)

Never buy fish from walmart.
They are so poorly taken care of, its sad.

<3

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Research research research........

But i highly suggest building the tank around a particular species or group of fish (like malawi cichlids) and make the tank suited to them. Dont try and mix a whole bunch of fish together, you'll likely then be keeping a species in there that doesnt suit the conditions
Agreed, IMO not doing the research and combining incompatible species is the #1 mistake that new cichlid keepers make. Fight the urge to have one of everything. A well planned species tank IMO is WAY more interesting than any mixed community you can put together (except maybe a Tanganyikan community)

M.A.G.

Meow
Nov 2, 2005
unless your female lab has overgrown her other tank you can do pretty much anything. if you do put her in the 55g i would do a malawi tank too. at first its tempting to mix up all types of fish but in the end it much more satifying to khave a tank that looks naural and that fits the special needs of a certin group of fish. if you do a malawi tank your aquacaping possibilities are endless. lots of river rock and caves with some logs if you like. you can do plants like anubias that have very tough leave that dont get eaten.check aquariumplants.com under herbivorous plants. you can ask for help as to aquascaping around here . lots of gorgeous tanks around here (looks good luvmykribs)hope this helps

BrianAW

AC Members
Nov 9, 2005
hello. i have just found myself with a new 37g tank for my birthday and i went with chiclids. i did the whole riverbed theme(except for my airpump, its a windmill) and it looks great. i have a small jack, an ice-blue zaen, 3 black cons, and a small oscar. i luv my tank and especially my cons. it looks great but i dont sugest putting africans with south-americans because i found out th hard way when my oscar fought a random african to the death(it was quite fun to watch though i feel sorry for the african hes in my medical tank recovering :/ ). just make sure that you have lots of plants and hidding places for any smaller fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store