My goldfish keeps rubbing against the rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meaghan9930

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Hi guys its me again. Yesterday after I got home my goldfish was swooping down and kept brushing up against the rocks. After he would do that he would swim real fast and jolt around the tank. A day before that he was real calm and just kind of staying in one place.

Is that normal??? :sick:

rocky81426

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
One of the reasons a fish may rub himself on the rocks is because he could have contracted ich. Does the fish have any white spots on him?

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Be on the lookout of ICK (small white spots). When a fish scrapes its body against objects it usually means that there is an ICK out break in the tank. Yes they can die from it, if it’s not caught in time.

There is a lot of medication available for ICK, I use Mardel Maracide. You should only use Mardel Maracide if you have a spare or hospital/quarantine tank available, because it will stain the silicon (the aquarium glue that holes your tank together) blue.

I wish you the best of luck!

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Or external parasites.

You also may have flukes which get into the gills or on the rest of the body, gills are more likely though.

First try some salt, a generally mild remedy for many external problems. Look up the dosage, I think something like 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons.

Gill flukes are difficult, search for Puregold site to read about them. There are interesting remedies as well as standard (harsh) medications for that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store