New tank! specs = 90gallon(340 Litres) want some Constructive Criticisms Pic Included

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

><>FunSize<><

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Logan Village
Visit site

New tank! specs = 90gallon(340 Litres) want some Constructive Criticisms Pic Included
I brought a new tank the other day so far i have put 2 (1.5inch) Electric Yellows, 2 (2inch) Electric Blues, 2 (2inch) Silver Sharks, 2(3inch) Plecos, 2 (<1inch) Bristle nose Catfish & 2(1.5inch) Bronze Catfish. Does anyone think this is to crowded Tank is 90Gallons(340 Litres) Also I would like advice on the landscaping of the bottom of the tank to best suit all my fish. ohhh and I also have 2200L/H & 1200L/H Filters ( Should i get more fish, Should i get rid of some fish, or is the tank all good)

Note: All fish are getting on fine and there has been no fighting so far.

I tryed to attach some pics but it kept sayen it was to big and the files were only 45kb so sorry bout that

Click on link 4 pics
http://www.geocities.com/funsize_777/Fish_Pics.html

pierre_john

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Smithers, BC, Canada
From what I can see it looks like a pretty nice set up, but your pictures are too small. Is this a brand new tank or a new to you tank. The list of fish in your tank sounds to be okay but if your tank is a brand new tank then you need to watch your water parameters to ensure that the tank does not get "New Tank Syndrome". This is a rise in your ammonia which will cause stress to your fish. If it is an established tank...then you should be okay.

Good Luck and I look forward to see and hear more of your fish.

><>FunSize<><

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Logan Village
Visit site
Yeah it is a brand new tank. how do u mean rase ammonia levels how do i detect this and how do fix it up ohh and i am ganna fix up the pics in a few days so check out the site then i will post it when it is done

thanks for your advice 2 what kinda set up u got

Dustin

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
Fun size, just advice but you should read up on cycling a tank, there is a lot of info on these forums, but you need to go to the pet store and get ammonia and nitrite test kits because these are both toxic to fish, and will be present while your tank cycles. An easy way to knock down these levels temporarily is to do water changes, but the only permanent solution is a cycled tank which you will eventually get naturally. With that amount of fish I would do small water changes fairly often until the tank does finish cycling. You'll know when it finishes because your ammonia and nitrite will test 0.0 for several days in a row, then you should be able to cut back on water change, but will still need to do them about every week to 2 weeks. Sorry for the long post, just wanna help

Dustin

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
When you first get a tank, it is recommended by MOST of the people at the forum to get it totally ready for fish, but to not put fish in it. What I mean by that is that you get all the decor and the filters setup, and add the water, but no fish.
The reason for this is because there is a certain thing that happens with ALL aquariums, although I don't know why it does it. Anyways, it's called cycling. First, the ammonia rises up to an abnormal level,(I don't know exactly what the level is) ammonia being wastes from biological microbs in the water. After that, the ammonia lowers to almost 0 ppm, and the nitrIte spikes up, nitrite being the product of nitrifying bacteria turning the ammonia into their food. Then the nitrIte lowers, and the nitrAte slowly rises. This being because there in also a bacteria that eats nitrIte and turns it into nitrAte, nitrAte is less poisonous, but at high enough levels, it call also be deadly.
You can go to your local fish store (lfs) and get a "Master Test Kit", that includes all the things needed to test all of those three things.
After you know of the final NitrAte spike, you can put in you first fish.
Now, there are other factors that go into cycling, but since you seem new to fishkeeping (no offence, may have just been your mistake) I'm not going to go into those.
There is also fish-cycling, when you add a small amount of hardy fish to supplement the ammonia level, I don't reccomend it because it's, IMO, cruel.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5927 that is a good thread on this site about fishless cycling.
If I'm wrong then tell me. Good luck with you new tank!!!
:D

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think that there might be a difference in the water type required by some of the cats and the cichlids, and also that there are too many plecs, and that you may see a big-time problem with intraspecies aggression. The sharks may be too active for the rest of the tank, especially if the cichlids stay, because they will need rockwork out the *wazoo*, and this will be in the sharks' swimming path.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store