Ideal temperature for Cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
I have 5 different types of cories (1 each). Whats the ideal temperature for them? I've read online thats 75F is ideal. However my tank is around 79-81F. I suppose I could adjust the heater but I plan to keep bolivian rams and i've heard that 80F is good for them. What would happen if the cories were living in water too warm for them?

loach man

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
I have no idea what the "ideal" temp is but I have 4 bolivian rams and a whole mess of different corydoras in my tank at 79. The rams are comfortable and the cory cats don't seem to care about the temp at all.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
My corries seem to be doing just fine at 81. I have 3 x Julii (showing noticable growth already) and 2 x Sterbae. All eating like pigs and constantly on the move.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers/1.php
Pick your corries out of the list and each species page has ideal temp requirements.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
I just noticed my Julli cory might have ich i'm not sure theres 2 tiny white spots on its dorsal fin. I just got him yesterday. I'm not sure if it spart of his pattern, some stuck on tank gunk or ich,

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I keep my tank currently at 68F as my cories are in with white clouds. The temp will climb as high as 72F or so. I can't tell you if this is ideal but my cories are close to 4 years old and have bred many times, twice successfully. I have 1 albino bronze, 1 adult male bronze, 5 juvie bronze and 1 peppered. The aquarium is also heavily planted and gets a weekly 30% water change.

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
hmm

everything I have read says that most cats prefer a range from 76-84. That is about what the temps average out to.

But saying that, I know a guy who keeps cats in his goldfish pond.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Cories seem able to adapt fairly well to a wide range of temps. Since most tropicals seem to like the 76-80F range then that is probably fine.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
I'm going to be raising the temperature to 86F because one of the fish looks like its got 1 spot of ick on the fin. That way when they become free swimming they'll die. Fish seem to be doing okay i've been raising it 1F per hour or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store