The Myth of Fossil Fuel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I say....drill in Anwar !!! They only want to open less than 2% of the entire state to oil drilling.....and the drilling they have up there now does in no way have any detrimental effects on the caribou population...in fact....they enjoy the heat generated by the pipelines and spend the hardest parts of the winter being warmed by them !

It's folks like the Sierra Club and others...who are keeping the oil companys from drilling more demestic oil or building anymore refineries...so we don't have to depend on nations like Saudi Arabia.....The gas prices we have today are a direct effect of supply and demand. Increase the supply and you take care of demand.

For those who say we're going to run out someday, what do we do then ? Yep, perhaps (but not according to Joe's article, if it can be believed).........but we need to use what we have now while we are exploring other options. By the way.........you need oil to produce hydrogen...and lots of it ! There is no such thing as naturally occuring hydrogen....you have to make it.........and it takes alot of energy to do so. So hydrogen itself is not the answer.....Nuclear is a good option...limitless amounts of energy, but you have to have some way of ditching the biproducts not to mention the hazards of something going wrong...by the way.....how many nuclear plants have had issues in our country since we began using it.....one ?

Sorry Joe, for hijacking your thread....but I'm sick and tired of the "blame the oil companys" mentality out there.........it's not thier fault that we're paying so much, it's the congress...because they refuse to allow them to do any drilling anywhere...or build any more refineries...or even explore for natural gas, which is incredibly plentiful ! That is incredibly irresponsible ! We are not safe here in this country while we are so dependant on nations in the middle east to supply our oil........what the heck good will it do us to protect the less than 2% of land up in Alaska for crying out loud.......if one day the radicals gain control of our suppliers and cut us off ! For our national security we need to have the ability to supply our own needs !

And those bozos in congress are wasting time shaking their fingers at the oil companies.....and spending two days debating the issue of Rush Limbaugh in the media ! Has anyone heard of that one ??? LOL ! How much do we pay these people anyway ???

I think we need to kick some congress butt !! If anyone is wasting our rescources it's THOSE people !!
Fire em all !

OK Joe....I'm done now.......:rant: :rant: :rant: I feel better now... :D

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
One word, alcohol.
Why do we continue to use gasoline when alcohol does the trick? It can be processed here in the US, using US grown corn or other grains, and the by-product (leftover grain mash) can be used as feed for livestock. Most cars nowadays would only require minor alterations to switch to it (new injectors, regulators, and a good cleaning of the fuel tank/lines) :huh:
Or bio-diesel. While currently it costs a bit more than regular diesel, if more, larger refineries would increase the output, prices on it would come down substantially.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
EMG Preach on sista! Amen! I wonder if we could use all the hot air that PITA generates to run our cars?hmmmm

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Sure, let's just drill wherever there's oil. Who cares about the effects on the environment. While we're at it, let's lower processing costs by doing away with that pesky "unleaded" requirement. Shoot, might as well make cars a little cheaper by saving the platinum from catalytic converters too. Who needs 'em?! After all, it's just a bunch of filthy hippies who are opposed to drilling right? It's not like there are actual ecologists with their fancy "science" saying that it would be a bad idea. After all "global warming" is just an urban myth, right? Dreamed up by a bunch of anarchists and commies, right? Who needs science anyway when an economist can tell us how the world works. Ugh. Why do I waste my time learning to think critically when there's clearly so little need for it in the "real" world.

Besides, why worry about fuel efficiency when we have economists telling us that Thermodynamics are wrong and that something can be unlimited? Not to mention that we can certainly trust someone who thinks that the fundamental physical properties of a substance can be changed: i.e. oil (an organic - carbon based material) can be derived from an inorganic (not carbon based) mechanism?

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Of course, higher prices also make known deposits of oil that were previously too costly to exploit viable economically, as well as reducing demand. Consequently, it is impossible to ever literally run out of oil.
Well, this is in fact true, but is sidesteps the fact that the "new" oil is only economic at higher prices. If you put a ceiling on the price of oil, and higher prices are prevented, then you certainly WILL run out of oil.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
sumthin fishy said:
One word, alcohol.
Why do we continue to use gasoline when alcohol does the trick? It can be processed here in the US, using US grown corn or other grains, and the by-product (leftover grain mash) can be used as feed for livestock. Most cars nowadays would only require minor alterations to switch to it (new injectors, regulators, and a good cleaning of the fuel tank/lines) :huh:
Or bio-diesel. While currently it costs a bit more than regular diesel, if more, larger refineries would increase the output, prices on it would come down substantially.
Unfortunately, it costs more in petroleum usage to make the fertilzers and run the farm equipment and refining equipment than to just burn the petroueum in the first place. But, it does make a great argument for additional subsidies for farmers so they can grow a crop that is actually uneconomic on it's own and piles up everywhere otherwise due the the prices it commands under subsidies.

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Hmm, havent we had this thread before?

Global warming is happening, the cause of it is what is debated.

And this new theory on oil is not proven. It has some evidence for it being true, sure. But it is still not accepted by the scientific community at large.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
That statement is inherently false. Of course it's possible to run out of oil. I'm not saying that we're anywhere near that point, but the notion that anything has an infinite supply is ludicrous: hence my "thermodynamics" statement.

I'm not getting into that rediculous global warming debate again. It's off topic and suffice it to say that that nay sayers have no science to back their claims. Pseudo-science doesn't count.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store