New Goldfish dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

punkpook

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Tennessee
www.geocities.com
Hi everyone, Im new. Hope you have some ideas for me.

I just bought 6 goldfish for my coldwater tank. The day after I bought them, one died. There didnt seem to be anything wrong with him. About a week later, (today) another one died. This one was in the same tank at the petstore with the other one that died. They are calico fancytails. My others, two black moors, a reg fancytail and a shubunken look perfectly healthy and they were in different tanks. My question is, what do you think was wrong with them. There were no signs of Ick on either of them and they acted perfectly healthy hours before they died. Is it something they brought home with them? Could my others catch it? Any ideas would be helpful. This is my first coldwater tank. My husband and I have been very successful with our brackish tank, guppy tank, cichlid tank and our tetras.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
We will need information about your tank. How big is it? What is the temperature? Did you dechlorinate the water? Did you cycle the tank before you added fish? What are the ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings?

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
I can only see one potential problem; your tank is overcrowded if it is anything less then 180. Allow me to break it down for you; one Fancy Goldfish requires 30 gallon, plus 15+ additional gallons for every additional Fancy Goldfish. You currently have 3 with the exception of the Shubunkin; If you don’t have a 60+ gallon tank (55 minimum), than you will be overcrowded. You will also need two times the filtration power. Here’s a more detail explanation; a 20 gallon tank will need a filter rated for a 40 gallon tank, a 30 will need one for a 60, a 40 needs an 80 rating and son on. Keep in mind that this rule is only valid for big messy fish likes Oscars, Goldfishes, fish that consume feeder fish, and so on. The Shubunkin is an exception because it requires 180 gallon tank minimum, anything less *might* make it susceptible to various diseases and “stunt-growth.”

“The ideal set up for the Shubunkin is a pond of at least 180 gallons with a gravel substrate, rocks and hearty plants. This fish will grow in proportion to the size of its surroundings.” <-- Meaning “stunt-growth,” this characteristic goes for all Goldfish!

Goldfish in general are very messy by nature. They will produce a lot of waste, which releases ammonia. Fish will die from ammonia poisoning. You should really check your water perimeters and perform a 25% water change 2 times a week (if your tank is overcrowded, one time if not) to keep the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels down.

What I have provided is a potential or growing problem with your tank, which may explain the loss of life. There could be numerous reasons why you are currently have problems in this early stage, but without any further information, I can not provide an analysis to why you loss a fish on its first day in its new home. More information on your finned-friends can be found through the links provided below.

Fancy Goldfish!

Shubunkin!

I wish you the best of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store