55 gal ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

randy8124

Registered Member
Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I have a 55 gal that I am going to turn into a brackish water tank (SP 1.010). I am going to have an external trickle filter, but I have a few questions. My wife and I love sailfin mollies, which is the purpose for setting this tank up, and was wondering what other fish would go well with the mollies. I want to have live plants (I know that the mollies will snack on them occasionally) and was wondering what plants would do well(with the salt and the mollies). Which salt should I use in the tank? I plan on using a substrate of sand, pea gravel and laterite. Should I place the plants into the tank before or after I do my fishless nitrogen cycle? Thanks.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I will answer most of your questions but also refer to the post Article Critique (has an article on beginner brackish aquariums. You will be able to have several tankmates in a 55. I actually just re-set up my 55 Brackish tank (filters are all cycled so get to stock Tues!) but the tank already has 4 Anablep Anablep (2 different species) and this is by far the coolest and most odd brackish fish.... wait the oddest fish ever since its pupil in split in two so they can see above and below water at the same time. They are extremely friendly and always attack my hand at feeding time. I also have a little Mudskipper in there. Along with several baby mollies. Pretty much your options are open. I will list what I am going to house and you can get some ideas (by the way filtration is two Penguin 330's). There will be the Anableps, Skippy, 2-3 Archers, 4-6 Mono Sebaes, and some bottom gobies. The Monos will get moved to my 209 saltwater tank when older so it will be stocked for awhile but not forever. I would say stay away from Scats, Monos, Datinoides, any anything else that gets over 6 inches or requires saltwater as adults. For live plants in mine I have 3 Java Fern Lace plants. You can have Anubias, some Vals, and Java Fern are the best options. Use Instant Ocean (made by Aquarium Systems) or some saltwater salt of the like. I don't think it really matters on adding plants before or after cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store