Am I frying my shrooms?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
I have a problem in my 15g nano, my shrooms never survive. Had them for a while, but they eventually killed over. Mostly disappeared. I've since restructured the rock and there were none hiding in the shadows.

I have 5 watts per gallon (half is 50/50 and half is 65K). Is it possible that I have too much 65K? I know they generally prefer bluer light.

I've since put more shrooms into it, one was a $50 rock of ricordea, and it killed over as well. They shrunk up and stayed that way for a month and then disappeared. Had them near the bottom. The ones I've put near the top did the same.

I DO have a good growth of xenia, anthelia, pavona, stars, zoos, etc... all my water quality specs are in good range. Not sure what the deal is.

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
Do you have any lps?
correct me if Im wrong, but they have sweeper tentacles, and the placement of the shrooms could be in their reach

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I have over 7.5watts per gallon, theres no such thing as too much light... at any given time during the day the sun is equivilant to well over a 1,000 watt bulb, per square foot. I'd suspect sweeper tenticles or water quality.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hmm, have you had most of your sofites for quite some time and are just adding the shrooms now? I'd say that they are the victims of chemical war fare. Try it again and add a little activated carbon to your filter that should help. Most of the sofites you have release terpenes and I'd guess that they had reached some sort of happy medium in your tank. The new shrooms got zapped because hey weren't used to the tank conditions.
just a guess

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
wastememphis said:
I have over 7.5watts per gallon, theres no such thing as too much light... at any given time during the day the sun is equivilant to well over a 1,000 watt bulb, per square foot. I'd suspect sweeper tenticles or water quality.
but you also must remember that if you use the wrong colour light, the corals will actually get fried. the light for metal halides are recommended to be no more than 10 000k, i have seen some people use 3000k and have had no success. the light at that colour is to red and unsuitable of aquariums, the ideal colouration is 14 000k which has a hint of blue to the colour of light. the colour of light fades as it goes down in water it goes from yellow/red down to a deep purple. so it is possible to fry corals, even with a unit that is 250 watts it can be done.

FragMaster

Poke it with a stick!!!!!
Sep 21, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
There IS such a thing as TOO MUCH light, no mater the color of it.
Mushrooms tend to be on the lower light scale. BUT your lighting is definately not the culprit.
FYI Not all LPS have sweepers, in fact the numbers that dont FAR exceed those that do by 10 - 1.
Brains, Galaxia, and Some species of hydnopora are the most common sweeper producers.

If you shrooms are dying off then it may be to other reasons than light.
How many zoanthid polyps do you have in the tank with the shrooms?
If you have tomany colonies of zpanthus they will over power the shrooms by combating with chemical warfare that is not detecible with the eye or a test kit other than watching them wilt away. vise versa with tomany shrooms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store