killer insect

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ahmadalkhatib

I am the most preferable fish
Nov 12, 2005
Hi all

I am new here but i have Very Big Problem

Mt Tank Is 900 liters And I have around 12 Fish in the tank.
before 3 days i found some insect in the tank very small insect, i can not see by my aye, so I am using microscope to see this insect i found hem like small shrimpe.
And now this insect kill 6 fishs to now. :sad:
what I do now pls some one help me.

thanks to all

ahmad

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Welcome to A.C. are you sure it's killing the fish? It sounds like it's probably a copepod and most likely it's just scavenging from the body. Are their any other symptoms like leisons on the skin or inflamation. What sort of fish do you have ? How long has your tank been set up and what are your water parmaters nitrates, ammonia etc? What do you have in your tank as far as live rock substraight etc? It would really help us provide you with better answers if you'd give us a bit more information.
I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck.

ahmadalkhatib

Nov 12, 2005
yes Iam sure Becuse there is a large number of it in the tank.
the fish are darting in the tank and they are scrabing themselves against the rocks. I have niger trigger - panda buffer - 3 red seasalifin - queen angel - 2 naso tank - 2 purple tang - emperor tank. I have set this tank up 3 months ago. ammoina = zero nitrate = 10 . no live rock in the tank

Thanks

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
wow, you have a LOT of seriously LARGE fish....... even for roughly 225 gallons. ......

:eek: :confused:

for what it's worth, I have a feeling you might not be aware of what copepods really are (maybe someone can post a pic?). they are a beneficial part of your reef system... most tanks have hundreds of these little critters (my little 20 gallon has many more than I can count). My guess is that your fish have Ich. This will cause them to rub and scrape against things in an attempt tp itch themselves. And in the worst case scenario you'll see sores and wounds on the fish from these attempts.....well...... now that I've written all that I'm confused as to how you would have copepods if you don't have any live rock? Do you have any corals or anything "live" that isn't a fish?

It's also possible that some of your fish don't like each other, hence the deaths...

Last edited:

ahmadalkhatib

Nov 12, 2005
Hi Kim

Than you for your replay

Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.25 ppm
nitrate = 30 ppm

Thanks

ahmadalkhatib

Nov 12, 2005
Dear Decz

I do not have Any live coral or rock in the tank. :shark:

Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Search on isopods. There are some isopods that are parasitic, but you will actually see them on the fish, in addition to being free-swimming in the water column, though usually only after the lights go out. If the critters you're seeing are not on LIVING fish, they probably are not the culprit, since non-parasitic pods are detrivores that will certainly consume a carcass.

ahmadalkhatib

Nov 12, 2005
Dear OrionGirl

Maybe Wright the Copepods is on fish and on glass.
I have pic For Copepods.

thanks

ahmadalkhatib

Nov 12, 2005
morphology

1.gif

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store