Food for my plecos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I have a common pleco from an old tank and I got a bristlenose pleco yesterday. I want to feed them some zucchini, spinach, and algae waffers. Being that there are 2 of them, if I put one piece of zucchini in, will they fight over it? Also, how often should I put in food for them?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
They'll need fed every other day or so. A couple slices of zucchini should last for 2 days, then wait a day or so, then add more. Other fish will eat these food items as well, and the plecos will eat non-veggie items too. You'll want to make sure they get some meaty foods in addition to the veggies. Meaty sinking pellets are a good choice, if you don't feed any of the frozen meaty foods live brine, blood worms, or scallops.

polkadot

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
You might want to try those sinking wafers or any sinking pellets. They'll grap them. Vege food are ok but they can get messy.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I'd be careful to throw in enough for both. The common will be much larger and will push the bristlenose off of the food, however, if he's a male bristlenose, he's got those gill spines from hell. The common has a got a good shell on him, but those good stick an eye or two.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I also got a tiger pleco the other day. When I put veggies in, I put 2 pieces of each. A few days ago, I put 2 pieces of zucchini in. today, I will put 2 pieces of spinach.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store