sick/pregnant Oto -help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

otogold

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2005
Please help! I had only read that Oto's did not breed in captivity.
I was quite concerned, therefore, when I saw one of my Oto's looking "very" pregnant...or deathly ill.

I have a planted 60 gal tank, 2 fancy goldfish, 5 Otos and too many fancy guppies. The tank is around 24*C, 2 large driftwood, lots of plants including a huge lily with leaves averaging 6+ inches diameter. Water parameters very good. None of my fish have died or been ill for over 2 years. All five Otos were purchased approximately 14 months ago.

I have a grave concern that either my Oto's is horribly diseased with something...or pregnant. I don't know which so I am hoping if I describe her to you, you may be able to tell.

The other 4 Oto's have not altered in either appearance or behaviour. Lately one or two of these "healthy" Oto's are literally side by side or nose to nose with the Oto I am concerned for. While the Otos often roam/sit together (within a few inches to 1 foot) I've never really noticed this closeness to this degree. I am concerned they know something is wrong with her or, best case scenario, they are a mated pair.

Sick/pregnant Oto appearance:
Normal sized round/plump whitish tummy now hugely distended. Looks like a round small marble of approximately 3/8's of an inch in diameter. Tummy definitely round, neither oval nor flattish. Red streaks appear in the formally white area of her underside and tummy, including near face/jaw/mouth.

Sick/pregnant Oto behaviour change:
Once saw her hanging onto driftwood (vertically and right side up) with just her mouth and tummy about 1/8 inch from driftwood
Sits "on top of" a particularly flat sitting (underwater) lily leaf. The leaf is about 6-8 inches in diameter but she seems more interested in just sitting/sleeping there than eating on it. While she's there one other Oto seems always there as well.
While the Oto's go everywhere in the tank, the length of time she spends just sitting there is unusually long and the fact that the other Oto is there is very unusual.
The red streaks scare me and even her eyes look reddish and/or distended??

Sick/pregnant Oto behaviour non-change:
Still busily munches on algae and driftwood.

I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
Check out otocinclus.com. I read a little on that site and they said that otos are egg-layers, not live-bearers. I would guess that it's sick. That's just me, though. Look at the site and see what it says.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store