identify anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It's either a very bleached bubble tip or a very bleached carpet. It's sort of hard to tell from the pic. I hope for your sake that it's a b.t.a. because you'll have a much easier go at nursing it's self back to healt. First it will need light ! I assume that you bought it this way btw so I'm not yelling at you and my next statement isn't really directed at you. Never,ever,ever, buy a sick anem they can be a real p.i.t.a. to nurse back to health. It's expelled most if not all of it's zoolanthe ,"symbiotic lagae that produces a lot of their food and remove a lot of their waste products," so, you're going to need to feed it raw meaty sea foods on a regular basis. Try every 2 to 3 days and if it'd rejects or regurgitates it's food be ready to remove the food item. It also will need good lighting to help it regain it's zoolanthe.
You're going to have to stay really on top of your water conditions if it's going to have a chance as well. Anems under this much strees really can't deal very well with water chemistry fluctuations at all keep all readings as close to 0 as possible. If you give it a lot of tlc and it's as badly bleached as it looks I'd say you maybe have a 50-50 shot.
If it starts going down hill fast get it out of your tank because these guys can die and rot very quickly. Don't worry about the normal inflation and deflation but if you see any holes in it's body or if white noodles start coming out of it's mouth dispose of it.
I really hope I'm wrong and just be my standard worry wort self.
hth
chris
p.s. please post again I'll be very happy to tell you any thing that I can to help and I'm sure others will be as willing.

derick

AC Members
Sep 15, 2005
thanks for the info now i am concerned too. I did buy it a lfs. it was in a very tall tank probably 40 gallons or so and they only had a regular twin flourcent light. so after reading your post you are probably right about it being bleached. I have another anemone in the tank for 6 months and it is doing great i fed it a small piece of formula one today and it did eat it, also added some marine snow to the tank and shut off skimmer and filter for a hour i hope this helps, i also made a post eariler today to help identify another coral i bought out of the same tank and it turns out to be a Goniopora.. so i will have my hands full im sure i will be able to give the anemone a fighting chance..i did not know bubble tips looked like the guy in my picture...any other help you guys can give me would be great i want to do everything possible to give the anemone a good home...thanks for the reply...derick

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I really couldn't tell what it was from the pic. I just saw the white glow and guessed bta,"they are pretty common," it there any way you could take a pic of it with out the acintic ? As for the gongi try feeding it in a bowl or other container outside of your main set up . You can give it more food more often with less risk off poluting your tank. I wouldn't try that for the anem though it will eat large bits of food and it'll be a lot easier to get rid of the waste from it.

derick

AC Members
Sep 15, 2005
this is is a little better it is so bright is hard to see it clearly but i think one good point is that its foot is very secure to the rock..so thats a good sign..

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
From first picture, it looks like it has beaded tubercles, if this is true, I would speculate it was:

this taken from my Anemone Bible, Marine Atlas Vol.1
Heteractus Aurora or commonly called Beaded Anemone.

Lives singly in rock crevices or reef terraces or on sand. It is host to numerous clownfishes

Requires 20cm of sand with hard substrate underneath to ancor itself to. It is weakly adhesive. Totally retreats into substrate when disturbed.

feed: mussel, fish, and crustacean meat

It is extremely polynmorphic and has been described under wide variety of names. The upper part of it's body is grey to chestnut brown, depending on the density of the symbiotic zooxanthelae, while the interior half of the body is golden yellow. Body has a column of rows of light suction tubercles, smallest along the top. Special characteristics are the white elivated spots on the tenacles, they can be single or designed, Larger white spots foprm raised areas if these encircle the tenacles, thick and thin segments alternate.

Does this seem like your anenome?

derick

AC Members
Sep 15, 2005
i think you are correct it is a beaded anemone.. i captured a night shot with the moon lights on earlier this morning it is showing more of its tenticles before they were only a half inch long..now they are expanding after only 24 hours i hope this is a good sign.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'd say Mahl is right and it's a Heteractus species. It looks quite a bit like them any way it's reaction is a good one it means it's starting to settle down and adjust to your tank. I'd try feeding it a small amount of food every day or every other day ," Just a very little bit." It will probably reject quite a bit of it so keep a close eye on it. It's should start to brown up ,"good thing it's zoolanthe is starting to regrow,"
Best of luck and keep us posted on what's going on I really do wish you the very best of luck.
P.S. It may not be as bad as I thought the base looks quite brown. So it hasn'tlost quite as much of it's zoolanthe as I thought. That means that you have a much better chance than what I thought. Still keep a really close eye on it when they fail it tends to happen quite quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store