Can an aquarist be a fisherman too?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Guaranteed to start a controversy :devil:

So my cousin has an enormous saltwater fishtank with like, a filtration system that spans two floors, a radiation filter, and he MAKES his own WATER, by stripping everything out and adding salt etc. I do not know what the capacity of this tank is suffice to say it spans an entire wall of his house.

He is also an AVID (maybe I should say RABID) fresh and saltwater sport fisherman (bass, trout, flounder, tuna, you name it he fishes it).

Now is this like owning a kennel and going to hunt strays on weekends? Or is his fishing fixation completely unrelated to the company he keeps at home?

I'll keep my personal opinion unrevealed until I see where this thread goes... just to be safe!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
I love fishing I've been doing it since before I was born. Really, I have a picture of my mom fishing when she was nine months pregnant. But, the fish I keep at home are my pets. I've always dream of keeping rainbows though. They are my favorite fish to catch. And eat! yum!

secretmuscles

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Houston
tons of aquarists i know enjoy fishing. Though, I havent been fishing in a while i couldnt say i wouldnt enjoy a day out on the lake. Though i do eat fish I dont think i would keep any of the fish i caught. Iam strongly against any other kind of hunting though. I know its almost a catch 22.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i keep some fish i catch in my pond. most of them are catch and release though.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
See and I figured there wouldn't be too many aquatically schizophrenic people out there.:Angel:I was wrong.

I fish too. And I do keep nice fish on occasion (caught a 4 pound rainbow trout this year, and a few keeper stripers). I've actually thought of retooling my aquarium or buying a new tank for a tank that's all native freshwater fish (crays, sculpins, pumpkinseeds, etc.), because I find it interesting to watch the fish and see how they behave. I would love to keep trout in an aquarium they're beautiful fish, but how hard would that be to set up? You wouldn't be able to make them a true enough habitat for them to be really comfortable (running water, constant current, cool, clean, etc.), and they get quite big, even the smaller species.

On a strange note, since I started keeping pet fish, I am a much better fisherman. I think it's because overall I understand fish better. LOL.

On a stranger note, I have a hard time using crayfish as bait anymore (not that I ever had much luck with them anyways), but still have helped a friend catch them to feed his daughter's pet turtle...

Intermision

AC Members
Oct 24, 2005
Sugar Land, TX
I just went fishing last weekend in the biger of our two ponds I caught a nice little 6in. bass I wish I had a bigger aquarium, he would have been in ther in no time flat.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
One of my friends is a park ranger and he keeps a native tank to show visitors in the info center at the park he works at.

The tank is pretty large and he has both small and largemouth bass in there along with some bullheads, sunfish, pickerel, etc.

He also had a tropical aggressive tank at home and says that bass & pickerel are without question MUCH more aggressive than any of the tropical aggressives (like pirhana, dempseys, etc.) that he had. He would feed them small shiners from a bait store and said once he tossed them it it was a frenzy until they were gone.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
I fish as well. My uncle also keeps an aquarium and hes also a fisherman.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store