MK Nature Center (56K Warning)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Domandred

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
This is NOT my pond, though I kind of wish it was :) . I'm posting this pretty much as inspiration for an outdoor trout pond.

What: Morrison-Knudsen Nature Center
Where: 600 South Walnut, Boise Idaho
Directions: From Interstate 84:
Take the US-20/US-26/BROADWAY AVE exit, exit number 54. Turn NORTH onto US-20 W/US-26 W/BROADWAY AVE. Turn EAST onto PARK BLVD. Take PARK BLVD to WALNUT ST. (Be sure to be in the second lane from the left because this is the only lane that will allow you to stay on PARK BLVD). Turn SOUTH on WALNUT ST and look for MK Nature Center signs.

Phone Number and information: (208) 368-6060

I don't know the exact details on everything so I am estimating and using conjecture.

The MK Nature Center was built with donations from the Morrison-Knudsen company and private donors by the Idaho Fish and Game Department. It is situated in downtown Boise next to the IFGD main office. Housed in the nature center are various Idaho native flora and fauna both. There are tons of birds, snakes, mammals (beavers and small rodents).

In general there are no cages for the animals. I say in general as there are a few cages. They have 2 bull snakes (gopher snake), a salamander and a newt (sorry can't remember the breed) that are in the visitor center in 20g aquariums. Also outside is a large Kestral Hawk aviary for viewing 2 Kestrals up close. Other then that the land/air animals are free roaming and can even leave the park at any time if they wanted to.

The biggest attraction at the MK Nature Center however is the trout run. The trout run is a man made creek with several ponds that meanders over about 2 acres (est) of land. The creek and the ponds have viewing areas made of concrete walls with acrylic viewing glass to see the ponds and creek from an underwater view.

I do know that there are several species of trout present, Rainbow, Steelhead , Brook, Brown, Bull, some whitefish, and suckers that I saw today. Occasionally the local hatchery will donate other fish for display until release in the wild. We have had Chinook and Coho salmon as well as the beautiful red Kokanee salmon (silver until they spawn then turn dark red with green heads).

I have absolutely no idea how many fish are present, and I would imagine that the employees also do not have an exact count. The two pictures above were only a very small representation of the fish in just the main pond. Part of the reason is that there are sections of the creek that allow for trout spawning. There is also viewing areas there as well.

Filtration and water is provided naturally (I believe and this is where I get into conjecture) by the Boise River which runs about 100 feet from the Nature Center. Water is pumped into the main pond first onto the cascading waterfall.

From there the water overflows into the creek which is routed around the park. At various stages in the creek fish traps are constructed to keep the larger fish in but allow the smaller fish, fry and minnows to roam freely through the creek system.

Finally the water pours into a beaver pond via a small waterfall (didn't get a picture of the waterfall side only the top side)

The beaver pond overflows back into the Boise River at the end of the creek. From what I can tell this provides all the fresh clean water the pond system requires, as well as filtration from natural sources.

Overall the massive setup is pretty self sufficient now that it is running. The maintenence probably involves trimming back land plants from the walk paths, taking out any fish that have passed away, and probably some feedings. Water is rarely if ever drained (don't remember it ever happening in 15 years) as the water is constantly being completely replaced.

While something this grand of a scale is probably completely out of reach by most aquarium/pond enthusiasts it might still offer some ideas and inspiration.

Hope you enjoyed the virtual tour of one of Boise's attractions.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store