white film on Betta jars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KATHY HITZEMANN

Registered Member
Nov 16, 2005
I have several square vases set up for my Bettas. They measure 10" high by 6 inches wide, with a glass diaginal divider in each to house 2 bettas. All was going well, but suddenly I have a white oily film on each of the vases.

I've read here about mollies, and agitating the water with stronger filters, but those are not options with Betta containers, as the water should be still.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kathy

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
KATHY HITZEMANN said:
I have several square vases set up for my Bettas. They measure 10" high by 6 inches wide, with a glass diaginal divider in each to house 2 bettas. All was going well, but suddenly I have a white oily film on each of the vases.

I've read here about mollies, and agitating the water with stronger filters, but those are not options with Betta containers, as the water should be still.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kathy
Hi, Kat, and welcome to the forums. I am not good at tact over the internet, so let me get right to the point. You're laboring under some common misconceptions. Bettas don't need still waters. The fact that they can survive in small puddles of still water in the wild isn't truly indicative of what they should be housed in. Bettas have a labyrinth organ, which can breathe air from the atmosphere. This is how they are able to survive such conditions. It doesn't necessarily mean they will flourish in them. You might have noticed that your bettas also have gills :)

So, feel free to add a little current. It can come from something like a sponge filter or even a traditional hang on back filter. Also, I assume the film is on the water's surface since you describe it as oily so, please bear that in mind with my advice. There are many avid betta hobbyists on this sight and I know for a fact many of them will verify that bettas not only adapt well enough to mild to moderate currents in a tank, but also really like some room to spread their fins and swim. They can even live with tankmates like certain tetras, cory cats and otocinculus, just to name a few!

So, my recommendation would be to find larger homes for your bettas with adequate filtration and that would solve several problems that contribute to one another, not the least of which is the oily film you are seeing. I really like a ten or 20 gallon (long) for bettas. Most people that have never kept them in anything that big are surprised to find out how much those guys will actually swim when given the chance. I hope that helps and good luck with the fish and once agani, welcome to AC!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
What he said.

(As an aside: no, everyone I won't get started :rolleyes: )

KATHY HITZEMANN said:
. . .those are not options with Betta containers, as the water should be still. . .
Asian rice paddies -- with the exception of very few that have no access to river water -- are irrigated and that means that there is a source of fresh, albeit slowly moving, water.

The "need" to keep bettas in still waters is pure myth.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store