Pleco's sucking Channel Cats to DEATH!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Hello all, I have two Pleco's. They aren't any longer than say, 6 - 7 inches. I purchased 3 Albino Channel cats about 7 months ago and they grew to be 13 inches long. The first CC died about two months ago. I didn't know what was causing all of these raised welts on his body. I soon found out that the Pleco cats were sliding up to him, latching on with that suction mouth and begin sucking! I would beat them off whenever I could catch them but of course, I can't be there to watch the tank 24/7, and if the CC's don't have sense enough to MOVE, what could I do? Suffice it to say, the first CC died. That left me two. A few months later, the same thing. Now I'm down to one and he's grown to quite a large size. I changed the tank around a little and I haven't seen the Pleco's on the CC since. My question is this: WHY do the Pleco's do that and WHY does the idiot CC just STAND there and LET them? I prefer my CC to the Pleco's so if it's a matter of incompatibility, I'll gladly give up the Pleco's. Anyone have an answer?

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Pleco's will ofter acquire a taste for another fish's slime coat. Usually it's not a problem unless they are much smaller then the other fish. I would say to ensure your CC's safety your going to have to lose the pleco's. Take them to a LFS.

jagarundi

Oct 6, 2004
Mudfrog said:
Pleco's will ofter acquire a taste for another fish's slime coat. Usually it's not a problem unless they are much smaller then the other fish. I would say to ensure your CC's safety your going to have to lose the pleco's. Take them to a LFS.
I'll do just that. They hide all the **** time anyway! Thanks for the response.

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
Gotta go with RTR on this one. Pleco's don't attach themselves to other fish unless they are starving. Keeping them well fed means more than just algae wafers and the occasional shrimp pellet. They are high content eaters, who normally leach nutrient out of high bulk foods. This means to feel full, they need to eat a considerable mass.

I'd try tossing in 1/4 of a poached zuchinni every other night, or similar sized fresh veggies. It'll let your pleco's fill up, and keep them robust, and friendly, tank mates.

Check out pleco feeding requirements sticky for more on pleco feeding. Sucking other fish to death is'nt normal behavour.

D'oh! you already found the other post on feeding em! Sorry!

Last edited:

jagarundi

Oct 6, 2004
Halo said:
Gotta go with RTR on this one. Pleco's don't attach themselves to other fish unless they are starving. Keeping them well fed means more than just algae wafers and the occasional shrimp pellet. They are high content eaters, who normally leach nutrient out of high bulk foods. This means to feel full, they need to eat a considerable mass.

I'd try tossing in 1/4 of a poached zuchinni every other night, or similar sized fresh veggies. It'll let your pleco's fill up, and keep them robust, and friendly, tank mates.

Check out pleco feeding requirements sticky for more on pleco feeding. Sucking other fish to death is'nt normal behavour.

D'oh! you already found the other post on feeding em! Sorry!
I had no idea why they were still smallish size since I've had them for over a year and a half now. I'll get the Zuchinni to them this evening and see what happens. Since they only come out at night, should I throw it in then or as soon as I get home and let them gorge?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
My Royal loves cucumber and zuchinni, even though it is nocturnal it takes less than 15 minutes for its olefactory to get wiff of it and it is in hunting mode :)! I do agree with the above. I have kept differents species of plecs for 9+ years and never had one suck on fish. I have heard many stories of Chinese Algae eaters doing this as pretty normal behavior (have seen some do it too, don't know how well fed they were though) but not plecs! Good luck feeding them, hope all works out well!

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
If you think someone else in the tank might steal the zuchini from them, put it in at lights out. With a little luck, you'll have just enough light to see the results.

Another thing to be aware of is, they might not recognize it as food right away. If they've never seen zuchini before, they might need a few night's exposure to it before the light goes on, and the feeding frenzy begins.

Lastly, keep your water quality good by removing the un-eaten zuchini in the morning. You don't want to let that sit in there and cloud up your water.

Happy Fat Fish!

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I'd put a couple in so everyone can have some, and I'll agree..if they havne't had zucchini before, it may take a while before they know what it's for. Just keep at it and they will figure it out.
Do you feed algae wafers? My plec like those.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Remember that plec's like some protien in their diet as well. the larger they grow the more they like it. Shrimp pellets or brine shrimp once in a while will satisfy their protien needs and then the bulky veggies will keep them happy otherwise. Pleco's also prefer driftwood. Some species actually require and eat driftwood. Even if yours do not "need" wood they will appreciate having it in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store