Daveedka the terrible

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
In another thread, you pointed out that aquarists could save some money in test kits by not worrying about PH. While you briefly described why, I would like some more clarification(you said it could be discussed in another thread, that's why I started this one). This may get long. This may not be something your up to, but I seem to get the feeling you like sharing your seemingly endless knowledge in the arena of fishkeeping.

Could I go look up info on what your talking about? :read: Sure! would I understand it? :huh: Probably not. I have read your ich article a total of one time and I feel I have a good understanding of ich and how to treat it. I think this has to do with your high patience level. Another quality I, and Im sure others, have noticed is your ability to break things down to laymens terms. Making things easy for us nonscientist types to understand, without sounding condescendin about it. I will close in saying that when I see you have replied to a thread I instantly read it. 90% of the time I learn something new, and 5% of the remainder I likely learned from you.

Yours,

Mike

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I'm not Daveedka (obviously :D), but I don't worry about my pH nearly as much as my kH. The kH keeps the pH stable (important), most of my fish adapt to a wide range of pH values (so why worry about what it is?). If you want to know your pH out of tap/tank/etc, you could always take a sample to the LFS and find out what it is.

I don't know if that's his opinion or not... just my $.02.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
What a rockin' idea!

We need an article! A sticky! I was JUST looking for that recent thread where Dave is explaining why pH isn't as important as most people think.

Man, we need this thread. Good going!

Roan

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
For most freshwater fish can accept a wide Ph value, I'd rather keep watching it at least 2 times a month, and checking also tap water b4 putting it into the tank. You never know.

As Puma Ward said, Kh is going to keep the Ph stable, but there's always the risk of some unknown stuff happening.

From a scientifically point of view, you can give me a hundred reason to forget about my measuring my Ph, but as for saving money won't work as most test kits include a ph tests along the other bottles or strips.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Puma, I think that is his stance on it as well. He has a way of explaining thins that makes me understand completely most of the time, and I just assume the same is true for a lot of folks. I know little if nothing about PH,KH and GH and was hoping to help out myself as well as others with this thread. You oppinion is worth more than a couple pennies if it helps anyone out.

Roan, here it is http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61070 and Im hoping for elaborations on this, hopefully a sticky or article in time.

Pat, I agree that saving money is not a viable excuse for not testing, hence this thread. As with puma's, your input is appreciated.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
To some extent my comments were sarcasm, I apologize for that. The person who questioned the info did so by saying they would stop buying all kits that their fish were unable to read. I responded more harshly than I probably should have.

I do own Ph test kits, and do use them, but seldom worry about what my PH actually is or how much different tank and tap Ph really are. The fish react to the level of dissolved solids, not the actual ph of the water. PH "shock" as it is commonly called in the hobby is actually Osmotic shock caused by taking a fish from water with one TDS (total dissolved solids) level, and putting them in water with a far different level. This interferes with osmo-regulation and harms the fish (or in mild cases stresses the fish) fish can and will adjust to changes, but it takes some time. My tanks range from 6.6-7.2 Ph with co2 injection, my solids levels and Carbonate levels are constant and consistant with my change water. the fish don't know the difference in the ph.
All of this is of course within the ranges of normal Ph's. Extreme high's and lows will still do harm, but seldom does this discussion ever contain the extremes. I have seen tanks with OTS that regularly tested at ph of 5 and the fish survived. and likewise I have seen fish kept in tanks with ph of 8.8 with no problems.

That being said, the Ph myth is huge and largely mis-understood.
It comes from the fact that what we as humans view as hard water is far different than hard water in the sense that fish care about.
Human hard water is water that is hard to get soap suds in, for fish it is water that is high in TDS (total dissolved solids). A person can take RO water and adjust it to a Ph of 8.2 and have less dissolved solids than high calcium water would have at a ph of 7.0. The Ph correllation is extremely general and far too much emphasis is put on it. Here in Columbus Ohio we have tap water that is pathetically devoid of everything. Our water comes from the pipe at close to 7.0 ph most of the year. it changes to 7.6-7.8 after sitting out for a while. Now the crux of the matter is: there isn't enough calcium, magnesium, trace minerals etc. in that water to grow plants, snails, or shrimp. By all rights our tap water at 7.8 ph is nearly perfect for ultra soft water fish like tetra's and discus. Mollies and swordtails will not breed in our tap water because it is so soft. on the flip side I can take that same water and make it rock hord with calcium and magnesium and never alter the ph one iota. Then I have water ideal for rift lake fish, mollies, snails, shrimp etc. and the ph is still exactly 7.8.
A water softener exchanges calcium and magnesium ions for sodium ions at close to a 2 to 1 ratio. In other words the water going in is high GH, we double (general term not mathmatically accurate) the dissolved solids, and it comes out reading a lower GH. Discus would rather have the water before it was "softened"

Now thus far we have talked about calcium and magnesium, and of course carbonate. Our GH test kit picks up an Ca and Mg, but does not read other items in the water. Our Kh test kit picks up on Carbonate, but does not read other factors. So we could feasably have high iron, high sodium, high sulfur etc etc. And our test kits read ultra soft water. Dump a discus in a high sodium high sulfer tank sometime (please don't do that for real) and you'll find out ph Kh and GH readings mean next to nothing in the total picture.

Likewise we could take ro water add enoguh calcium and magnesium, to get a gh of 18-19 dGH and just enough carbonate to get a KH of 3dKH and we would have a ph of 7.8 or 8.0, Medium hardness reading, medium to low Kh and high Ph. With nothing else in the water, our fish would still see it as very soft water.

There are so many variables in the PH discussion, and so many right and wrong ways to influence Ph that in the end it proves to be a somewhat useless number. It is good for viewing changes, it is excellent for calculating co2 levels (if carbonate is the buffer and not phosphate) but aside from that it is limited in what it will actually tell us. Additionally because of the emphasis put on PH readings by so many people in the hobby, it causes a lot of confusion, a lot of headaches, and in many cases it kills a lot of fish.

In the wild, the water works under different rules, we have large volumes of water with small numbers of fish. A KH of 0 in the wild is not a big issue because there is enough water to dillute the effects of biological acidification a KH of 0 in our tanks is a recipe for dissaster. Many People constantly work for a PH of 7.0, when in fact they are setting themselves up for an unstable tank environment when they do that. Our tap water at 2-3 dKH is Ph of 7.6 at atmospheric co2 levels. This tells me that unless I'm injecting co2 I never ever want a tank with a PH below 7.6 PH.
When we use products like peat the tannic acid depletes the carbonate, the calcium and the magnesium (at least that is my understanding at this point) this is a good and useful thing to know if we have extremely hard water and we want to raise Discus fish. It is not a good thing if we don't understand the whole picture and we over soften our water and crash the tank.

Trying to get the entire aquarium hobby to see this is difficult at best.

We need an article! A sticky! I was JUST looking for that recent thread where Dave is explaining why pH isn't as important as most people think.
I had actually already started putting this information to paper, but It will take some extensive time to get a good article posted. I do not want to throw theories only onto the boards, I am currently trying to buy a TDS meter, after which I will get some RO water, and variuos well water and tap water samples, and do some proper testing to produce real numbers to back up my claims. Until I get that done, I'm sure there will be a lot of questioning (always a good thing) and some argument to this whole subject.

The bottom line for quick reference is:

GH test reads calcium and magnesium only

KH test reads corbonate which is IMO and IME the only dependable buffer

PH reads how acidic or basic the water may be with reasonablyclose correllation to Kh and very very loose or general correlation to GH.

Phosphates buffer water, but are unstable and short term at best

Co2 drive Ph down without drastically changing Kh, and the correllation is very close.

Peat, driftwood, extracts etc. will truly soften the water, they are slow to act in well buffered tanks and will rapidly drop the ph in a tank once Kh is depleted. These items should be used with caution and understanding.

Most other solids in the water cannot be tested for with normal hobbyists kits. Iron tests are arguably unreliable, as with many less popular test kits. the ideal thing to do is get a printout of the local utilities water test results.

And of course the easiest tank to maintain is one that has water identical to tap. frequent steady water changes will keep everything regulated stable and healthy unless your tap water is really extreme in some regard. Fish will easily adjust to most levels of Ph, Kh and GH within reason.

Dave

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
LOL! I love it! I also agree w/daveedka very strongly. If folks would give up the whole concept of "changing the pH" and pay attention to their KH a bit more, their tanks would be better. GH does not change a lot in unplanted tanks, unless it rises from replacement of evaporation water and insufficient water changes. KH does change a good bit in even unplanted tanks, as it is used up with normal nitrification. The pH concept is way over-emphasized, to no real benfit to the fish. Water stability matters a lot, water TDS and mineral profile matters most in breeding and to a much smaller degree in color of some fish, but stability is far more important to keeping fish long term.

To be honest, the only time I ever check pH these days is either checking CO2 concentration (by pH/KH), or to see for gassy the tap water is this season and again to see if it has fully off-gassed during aging. Neither of those has much to do with the fish.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Wow Daveedka,

I just had posted a question in the aquarium plants thread...about KH and GH and what's all that mean.....

The water from my tap comes out with these readings.....

GH-40ppm
KH-60 mg/l
PH-7.8

I had no idea what any of that meant for my plants....not worried about the fish, they all do very well with my water it seems....but I wanted to know about the CO2 thing and KH.....found out that my water holds very little CO2 for my plants. I have been dosing with florish excel, but am wondering if that's enough given those readings.

I have to say...I didn't finish reading all of your last post here, all that stuff makes my head swim !! Info overload.....but I would like to be able to understand all that and spout it all out the way you do....lol !

ParadoxLiz

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
www.lizmcguireonline.com
daveedka said:
Peat, driftwood, extracts etc. will truly soften the water, they are slow to act in well buffered tanks and will rapidly drop the ph in a tank once Kh is depleted. These items should be used with caution and understanding.
Dave,

Thanks for your detailed article. I would like to put driftwood in my tanks (if I ever find any I like), and understand that either soaking it or boiling it will help get it full of water so it will sink and possibly help get some of the tannins out and boiling should help get rid of parasites/bacteria should they be present. (If you happen to know if any of that is wrong, please let me know - the biggest supply of driftwood here is PetCo, but they keep the wood in their tanks - which makes me worry about disease.)

Can you provide some more info on the impact driftwood will have on KH and pH? I understand they'll go down due to acids in the wood, but is this continual or only until the acids are used up (is that possible? or does the wood rot at that point?), or...? Will the water changes mentioned help keep the water stable (assuming one has a high KH in one's tap water), or...?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store