Blue Dasmel With a Yellow Tail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xboxlive2020

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
I have one of this in my 10 gallon to cycle as they are hardy. He looks depressed. He runs out just to eat, then goes back into hiding behind the heater. He is the only animal I have in the tank? What should I do to make him come out more? Thanks!

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
The only thing I would do is take him out of the tank now. His gills are being burned by the amount of ammonia you have in that tank. You do not need a fish to cycle a tank. It is inhumane. I am not bashing you. It is just that there are better more efficient ways to cycle a tank.

SummerMoon

Ce faci?
Apr 28, 2005
FWB, Florida
There's much debate on the topic of cycling with or without fish. While I don't claim to be an expert in saltwater, I do have to agree with Skippy on this one. Obviously the little guy is suffering. I did fishless cycling and while the process took a little longer, the results were great. If I'm not mistaken there are other options which can hurry the cycling process along without harming fish. Hopefully someone with more experience and/or knowledge than I will pop up with a few suggestions.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I agree with above posts.... I've never cycled with fish because I believe it is inhumane. Just imagine yourself in a room full of smoke. There's no windows, nowhere to go, no way out of that mess. To top it off, the smoke just keeps getting worse and worse. It is burning your lungs... and you just can't breathe!
This is exactly what it is like for a fish in a cycling tank full of ammonia.

I realize you're a newbie, so this isn't a flame on you. I encourage you to try cycling with a pure ammonia source (and get that fish out of there!). In my experience the difference is only a few days plus the life of the fish.

I'd also encourage you to do a little more research before you add anything else to that tank. We're all hear to help, but there's only so much we can offer once you've already acted.

Last edited:

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
Please take your fish back to the lfs. I cycled my 55g with only lr and it cycled in 18 days. I still waited another month to add anything to it though. A 10g is a challenge even to an expert much less a newbie. I know it sounds like I'm crabbing but I really am not. I am just trying to help you. I have been doing this a little over 3 yrs. and am still learning every day.
You also need to realize the lfs is out for your money. We are not. We are only here to help you.

xboxlive2020

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the fish. I actually have been doing freshwater, but yes, I'm a newbie in salt. But I won't be able to return him. Would amquel work?

xboxlive2020

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
They have a no return policy.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
If it were me, I would just give it back and not expect and $ for it.
Do you know anyone with a salt-water tank? Maybe ask them to 'babysit'........??

As for amquel, here's some more detail as to why it won't work:
Although amquel helps remove ammonia, in this situation you'll just be delaying the inevitable. The cycle process needs the high levels of ammonia so that it can create nitrite and then nitrates... all of which are required for the cycle to go it's full course. By adding amquel (or any other water conditioner or additive) you'll just drastically slow this process down and your target of a 'fully cycled and ready to go system" back anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. As well you run the risk if creating other hicups.
So have patience and don't add anything until your system completes the cycle.

Well, now that I've said that I realize we have no clue what you're doing with your water. Can you tell us more about it? Is is pre-mixed water, tap, full of chlorine etc etc??? Give us this information and we'll be able to guide you through this cycle as best we can. Of course, this won't change the fact that IMO, you need to get rid of that fish.... even if it means you are giving it back to the place where you bought it, no charge.

Here's a link that describes the nitrogen cycle (ammonia to nitrite to nitrate etc). Obviously the link isn't specific to marine/salt-water aquariums, but the basic process is the same for all life (even humans!)....
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/9s.html

good luck.

SummerMoon

Ce faci?
Apr 28, 2005
FWB, Florida
How long has the tank been cycling? Are you testing the water? I would suggest regular testing (perhaps daily in this situation). With testing you'll know when the ammonia "peaks" and the bacteria begin converting it into nitrite and thus nitrate. I'd then suggest a water change of about 20-30% once the cycle is complete. Decz is right. This is a natural process of converting salt water into sea water and the damsel is in for a rough ride. Good luck to ya! And the damsel too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store