proper ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

docdocmurdoc

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
wisconsin
Well I just did something really stupid I think. I was going to adjust my PH in a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I bought some proper PH 8.2. Well says it is safe. It takes 3 and a half packets to adjust my tank it says. Soon as I put the second packet in all hell broke loose. My big beautiful purple long tentacled anemone just shriveled up. Then my two brain corals shriveled up, and then my hammer coral. So I am kind of depressed right now. Seems like the only thing it didn't effect were the xenia, and the fish. Looks like everything else is pretty much shriveled up. Anyone had any experience like that. This just happened about 15 min ago, and I don't know what is going to happen.

docdocmurdoc

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
wisconsin
Well it has been a day. Things are looking better, but i can tell things have suffered some damage. The anemone is full size, but is pretty firm, and half f him is curled in like he is protecting something. The red brain seems to be ok. The green brain is opened up but looks damaged alot. I did a small water change today, but things are hopefully getting better. I wish I knew what caused it. The way it looks now I don't think I am going to loose anyting.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
when you add sometihng like that you're supposed to mix it in with saltwater in another container and then put that water in the tank.

Owens187

AC Members
Oct 22, 2005
California
probably ph shock from raising it too fast!! like oscar said NEVER mix anything in the tank!!!! always mix it with new saltwater first. when making major chemical changes, add it SLOWLY over time...use a drip or just add little amount,wait a while, add some more, wait, etc etc..... you live and you learn i guess....dont worry , everything should get back to normal in a short while...

docdocmurdoc

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
wisconsin
Well things are looking better. My flowerpot coral is almost back to the way he looked before. The thing I am still concernd about is the anemone. He is alive and doesn't look to bad, but half of him is still kind of jacked up. He is loosing flesh from that side. Dead flesh, dark brown to black. Underneath the dead stuff is kinda white. So do they heal themselved fairly well. At first I though he might split, and get rid of the bad half. I guess that still might happen. Yeah I guess I should have mixed it with some saltwater before adding it to the tank. Like you said Owen..You live and you learn. I have only been into the saltwater tank for aobut 3 months. I do think I am rushing things a little. In that time period I have added about 11 different corals, and the two anemones. Luckily all have done well, until I tried to make things perfect by adding chemicals. Should have left it alone. Things were doing good until I had to try and monkey with them. Now I know.

mermaiden78

AC Members
Oct 23, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Real Name
Dana
Dont worry it happens to the best of us and that is how we start learning and b4 you know it we will be as smart as the mods on here (YEAH RIGHT) :hang: But until the we will keep hangin on and makin mistakes to keep the mods busy for a while

docdocmurdoc

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
wisconsin
Good ariticles. Thanks Crown. So proper ph is a no-no for a reef tank. Where do you find that out? Or do you learn like I did? I wanted to mess with the PH to get it up to 8.2. I brought my water in to the LFS to get it tested. The PH was around 8, and the guy told me it could come up a little. I decided to take things into my own hands and crank it up then. I guess that will teach me. All in all I don't think I am going to loose anything in my tank, so I am happy, and I now know I am not going to use Proper PH.

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Check out Seachem's website. That company makes all kinds of buffers/additives and has very detailed explanations of which buffer to use in a particular situation and why (complete with big scientific words).

The most important thing that I've learned in SW is that anything good takes time and to never ever do anything on impulse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store