Largemouth Bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
well i havent had any personal experience but i'm assuming blue gill, sunfish, and possible pearch could all be kept in aquariums. I would think it would need to be about 250 gal. or larger tank because most sunfish get about the size of large cichlids

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
hey bellum, how did you aquire your bluegill? if i were to catch them by fishing would that pose any problem to their eating or acclimation to the tank?

graysilm

AC Members
Nov 9, 2005
i know a guy who has caught a bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed, and catfish, all native to north carolina and done a tank. He had to feed the bass and panfish live crickets. He could never get the catfish to eat. There is a fish hatchery owned by the state near me and they raise all those fish and they eat pellets. I am sorta thinking it might be better for me to get my native fish from there cause feeding will prolly be a lot easier. :D

BELLUM

AC Members
Nov 15, 2005
Chicago
i caught my two bluegill. My bluegill tank as been up for like 5 days. When i first got them home i put them in a rubbermade contaner with the water from their lake and let it set in my tank for about 45 min (water temp at the lake had to be about 50).

They are doing fine. I got both of them in a 40 gal tank. It's got snails and one crayfish in there with them. I have been feeding them blocks of blood worms and regular nightcrawlers (dude these things can eat). I also feed them some minnows but i got worried on the quality of the minnows and stopped.

Last edited:

BELLUM

AC Members
Nov 15, 2005
Chicago
graysilm said:
i know a guy who has caught a bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed, and catfish, all native to north carolina and done a tank. He had to feed the bass and panfish live crickets. He could never get the catfish to eat. There is a fish hatchery owned by the state near me and they raise all those fish and they eat pellets. I am sorta thinking it might be better for me to get my native fish from there cause feeding will prolly be a lot easier. :D
Your friend can try taking chicken liver and dropping it to the bottem of the tank. The cat fish should eat that. My friend keeps a bass and a catfish had the same problem this worked for him.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I have a 29 gallon that I convertered to a native tank. It currently has 2 bluegills (under 1"), 15 horseface dace (3/4" - 1.5"), 1 crawfish, 1 newt. It's a very cool tank. When the bluegills become larger I will probably move them over to a bigger tank and get a few other specimens, i.e. crappie, catfish, red eye, small mouth or large mouth bass. The dace's will eventually become feeders for my Oscar and GT.

If you can house them I would recommend doing a native tank.

graysilm

AC Members
Nov 9, 2005
BELLUM said:
Your friend can try taking chicken liver and dropping it to the bottem of the tank. The cat fish should eat that. My friend keeps a bass and a catfish had the same problem this worked for him.
He tried that, but it raises the ammonia very quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store