Keeping Rainbow And Brown Trout

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyinSR

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
I have been keeping trout for 4 months now. I have one rainbow which is 5 inches long, and two browns which are about 4 inches. They live in a 30 gallon tank with two bubble walls and a small current. I have no cooler and my fish seem to be fine. I keep the window open at night so the temperature cools down and stays somewhat cooler during the day. I change the water 10% every week, adding de-chlor, and ick treatment so the fish dont get sick due to any temperature problems. The trout live with a small plecostamus, and dont seem to bother him. The rainbow is much more aggresive than the browns and eats two large meal worms a day. I cut the worms in half and feed him a half at a time. one worm in the moring and one worm at night. The browns eat small pieces of cheese. I give my rainbow an occasional housefly or grub from my yard. He eats spiders and "roley poleys". The browns arent very aggresive as though they try to jump out of my tank in the evenings. i belive this may be instinctive. I keep the water a little low so i can watch the fish leave and come back into the water during the evenings. The rainbow is a very beautiful fish with a very aggresive personality. he sees everything which goes into the tank and is very territorial. i have several peices of driftwood and four plastic plants. i collected lava rocks and some flagstone which makes nice caves. my tank has a very high amount of oxygen in the water. i caught these trout in my creek next to my house and hope to see them live for many more years.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm putting this through to allow for productive feedback--the described setup is NOT appropriate for trout. I'm pulling it out of the articles to prevent confusion.

1. These fish should reach 12 inches within one year. A 30 gallon tank is completely inadequate.

2. 4 months is too short a time to make any sort of statement about success.

3. Native fish are not legal to collect and keep in all states--local regulations should be investigated completely before obtaining fish.

4. This fish are very aggressive, and should not be kept in cramped conditions for long--you will end up losing fish.

I actually read all 3 posts you made to this forum on this topic, and the tank went from 20 gallons to 30. So which is it? Either way--you have a disaster waiting to happen. The fish will not survive for long, and they CAN NOT be returned to the creek you captured them from without endangering every fish within that system. Foolhardy.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Brown trout can grow over 30 pounds. They become very aggresive as they mature and will not tolerate each other or the rainbow. Some brownies (ferox) become totally piscivorous. The native wild trout I used to catch were in cooler, well oxygenated water from near freezing to about 60 degrees. Tropical temperatures are not good and constantly adding ick treatment is probably slowly poisoning your fish.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
OrionGirl said:
Foolhardy.
HeeeeeHEEE hooooo!!! Sometimes the simplest things tickle my fancy. I love that word!!!! So, lets look back at your post history shall we? Someone asked about keeping trout in thier aquarium and you posted exactly what is said in this thread. Eh, bad advice but not so bad:mad:. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202

THEN you posted the same thing again(really folks, CUT AND PASTE) and got all kinds of information that what you are doing is wrong. Bad :mad2: .
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61797

Again you cut and paste and this time try to put it in the article section? REALLY BAD!! BAD BAD BAD :rant: ! Did you not even read the advice given when you posted it as a reply in the first thread I mentioned, not to mention when you created a new thread? Why would this be article worthy? I may seem harsh in my words, but you are doing something that is quite foolhardy. If you were able to catch these fish, you should know of thier size potential. Even IF you were building a 10,000 gallon tank for them to live in(you "hope to see them live for many years" so you must be, huh?) This tank is hardly suitable for a holding cell. As OG said, you cannot release them into the wild at this point, so your best bet is a good sized rock on each of thier heads :(

Sorry for the rant OG, but I gave the best advice I could....

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
the best you can do with this situation is have yourself a nice little fish dinner. don't forget the lemon pepper

edit: but i don't know how the brown trout will taste after being fed a diet cheese

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
lol, wow. should have noticed >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store