Dwarf Gourami questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
Just read gsk177's sticky. I'm trying to avoid the mistakes he warns about.
I'm confused.
I've checked out a dozen different sites and gotten a dozen different opinions on these critters.
I have a 20gal high that I am just setting up, I plan on doing this over the next couple months. I have app. 2" gravel with a piece of driftwood and several golfball size rocks set in it now. I am waiting for the 6 plant bulbs to start growing (actually, I would like the plants to all be at least 8" tall before adding fish) and would like to add a few more. I am getting an Eclipse filter hood and plan to keep the temp at 77. I don't plan on breeding at all.
My questions, then;
How many can I get?
What ratio of guys to gals?
Who do they get along with?

Thanks,
Bret

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
It depends on how you want the tank to look and how much maintenance you want to do. You could pack it pretty good with them and make it look like a fish store display ( :sick: ) or you could have a couple males and several females to make it something relaxing to watch.
I prefer fewer fish in a tank personally (1 male/2-3females) but two males and 4 or 5 females would work, provided there are some hiding places (one male will pick on the other usually).
They get along fine with most other peaceful fish. I'd be leary of adding other types of gouramis.
Bettas are always touchy. Some work, some don't. As long as you have somewhere else for it to go if things don't work out, try it. Just be prepared to remove the betta if problems arise.

Oh yeah, welcome to AC!!!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Liz is correct, however, it's the shape of the fish the invites the aggression, not the fact that they're both labyrinth fish.

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
Okay, so the gouramis will occupy the top part of the tank, right? What would ya'll suggest I get for the bottom part? Something that won't eat my plants.

Also, would it be okay to occasionally give my gouramis betta food?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store