OK to add water during end of cycle process ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cribbinator

Fish are Friends, Not Food
May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Hello,

Just a quick question. Is it ok to add water during the end of the cycling process ? My ammonia and nitrites are finally at 0 but the water level is low and I would like to add some water if possible. Also when can I start to add fish ? I was going to give it 2 days to stabilze at the 0 level and then add fish ? Is this correct ? My wife as well as I, am anxiously awaiting fish.

Also I have one other tank that still has about 1 week left and is also low on water, is it ok to add water to this tank even though it is not as far as the above tank ?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Cheers,

James

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Adding water is fine. In fact, after your fissless cycle, you have to change a lof of water to reduce the Nitrate concentration. Remember that the bacterial filter turns ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. If you have a test kit, check for nitrates and they must be fairly high. Keeping them less than 20ppm is excelent. Nitrate is not as toxic as ammonia or nitrite but has to be kept low.

When you perform your water change, remember to use a declorinator before adding it ot the tank. Chlorine can kill your bacterial colony.

About fishes, once cycling is complete you can add fishes. In fact, if you let the cycled tank with no fishy the bacteria will have nothing to eat and will die. You can add 2 fishes, wait a week and add two more and so on until you reach your desired stock.

If you add too many fish at once you might end up with more ammonia than your filter can handle. Remember not overstock your tank capacity, and your filter will adapt to your fish load.

Hope this was helpful to you, and good luck.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Happy Thanksgiving!!! I wouldn't worry about adding water to either, it shouldn't affect your numbers at all, just make sure your added water is declorinated.
If your getting 0 then you can add fish, but if you'd like you can wait a day just to make sure your numbers stay at 0. Also, what kind of fish are you planning on getting btw, if you don't mind me asking.

Cribbinator

May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Hello,

Thanks for the info. I will add some water and then do a full water test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Stingray, I'm going to put some Gourami's, Rainbows, and possibly some cories to fill the bottom level. Any suggestions what might go good in a 26gallon with the Gourami'sand Rainbows ?

Thanks,

James

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Depends on how much of each you plan on having. I have 8 white clouds for a schooling fish. I also have a german blue ram. It kind of depends on what you like then you got to find out how big they get and if they'll be nice to everybody. I really love the german/gold rams, but I hear they can be hard to keep alive sometimes. I just got mine yesterday, and so far so good. still wating for her color to come back though so no pics yet.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
Umm. I dont know but he didn't mention doing a fishless cycle. Cribbinator you DID add some ammonia to the tank right? Because if you simply had an empty tank with water running in it then of course the ammonia and nitrite will be zero. If you were doing a fishless cycle by adding ammonia then you should be okay then.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
The first post stated "ammonia and nitrites finally 0", so assume there was ammonia and nitrites at some time.

For a 29 galloner, i'd put 3 gouramies (1 male, two fem - top swimmers), 4 rainbows (middled) and 3 corys (bottomers).

A gourami ratio of 1m-2f is good for cutting the male agression. Cories do better in groups. As for rainbows, I just threw a number that would "fill" the imaginary space in my head. Do a little research an rainbow's requirements to get a better number.

Remeber to add them little by little. You could surely start with the gouramies since they are pretty hardy, so they will better tolerate any unwanted situation. If after 1 week, everything is going normal, put in the cories. And after that, add your rainbows.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
What kind of rainbows we talking here? Boesemanis go between 3.5 and 4+ full size. That's a lot of fish for a 29g. I have 5 2.5" in my 36g and they are getting cramped.

Seriously don't think Boesemanis should be in anything smaller than 50 gallons based on my experience. If you are planning on upgrading eventually, you'll be fine for . . I'd say about 6 months. They grow pretty fast from what I've seen of mine.

I emailed LiveAquaria.com today and *****ed them out for having 4" rainbows in a min 20g. They even had one 6" rated for 20g! They are schooling fish.

Also, watch your male-female ratios. I've learned recently that once they get sexually mature they get awful nippy if there aren't enough females to go around.

Just my 2cents
Roan

Last edited:

Cribbinator

May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I noticed that too about the Rainbows. Thinking they might be too big later on. What are some "pretty" (cause my wife gets the glory of stocking this tank) fish to put in a 26 tall bowfront ? We definitely are going to get some Gouramis but was wondering what else would fit well. I'll probably get 2 Otto Catfish for the bottom and for algae. Just need some fish that would go well with the Otto's and Gourami's. Any ideas ?

I like the German Blue Rams alot too. I have a 55 gallon being fishless cycled right now and am still wondering what to put in it .... I'm kind of on a final of doing Tiger Barbs, 1 Red Tail Shark, and some small loaches but I would really like to do some Rams. Can you stock more than one Ram in a tank ? What fish do they go well with ?

Yes I used ammonia. Felt like a crazy scientist with all the tubes, charts and readings I've been taking lately ;)

Thanks,

James

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store