Need experienced opinions on small java fern/crypt tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Hi,

While researching, I've come across differing opinions on how much light is needed to grow java ferns & crypts in a small tank. Some say 1.5 watts is fine in a 5 to 10 gallon tank, some say 2 watts, others say 3 (or more) is necessary.

Does anyone have experience growing these kinds of plants in a small tank? How much lighting did you find was necessary to grow them well?

My goal is a small, simple 5-10 gallon setup (ie. no CO2) with java 'windelov' & cryptocoryne wendti 'green'.

Thanks,
:)

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I use a single 15w bulb over my 15gal shrimp tank that has java fern (and A.nana, J.moss). I haven't had to trim anything ('cept the moss) in over a year but they look good. One of the ferns is close to the top and might have to be moved within the next 6 months ;)

Does that help? :huh:

TetraBotia

AC Members
Nov 23, 2005
Ms.Bubbles said:
Hi,

While researching, I've come across differing opinions on how much light is needed to grow java ferns & crypts in a small tank. Some say 1.5 watts is fine in a 5 to 10 gallon tank, some say 2 watts, others say 3 (or more) is necessary.

Does anyone have experience growing these kinds of plants in a small tank? How much lighting did you find was necessary to grow them well?

My goal is a small, simple 5-10 gallon setup (ie. no CO2) with java 'windelov' & cryptocoryne wendti 'green'.

Thanks,
:)
I have 4 18W T5's over a 65 gallon (30 inch deep) tank. I have to prune my java fern regularly.

Now, on the otherhand, I also have some java fern downstairs in an abandoned 29 acrylic hex... they get nearly ZERO light (this basement has no windows and is not used as living space), no fish in the tank, no filters or heaters running... for almost a YEAR now. They are STILL alive.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Except for some more demanding crypts, they definitely won't die under those conditions. If you keep the crypts happy with some gravel fertilizer tabs they should be fine. Don't expect them to get too big, as they will be limited by light.

Java fern, as mentioned, is extremely easy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store