Siamese Fighter - breathing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happymoggy1

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Norfolk, UK
We got a male fighter on Thursday which was perfectly fine, we put him in the tank in the right mannor (getting him used to the temp of the tank water etc), but in the last 30 minutes he's been floating around the tank with his mouth at the surface of the water ... looking like he's breathing. He does this for a bit, and then has a swim.

Is this right?

happymoggy1

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Norfolk, UK
TheMightyQueenPixie said:
Yes, he is a-ok....Bettas are labyrinth fishes...This extra organ allows them to breath directly from the surface air...
Thanks for the quick reply - we were getting rather worried as he was literally floating vertically from the surface with his mouth at the surface - we thought this organ which they used to breathe was on the top of their head.

happymoggy1

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Norfolk, UK
Our poor fighter has just died :eek:( only a little while after I had just posted after we were concerned about him.

We previously had a fighter in the tank but he got attacked and didnt recover, what would have caused the fighter to die, for him to be literally trying to breathe at the surface of the water?

We really love these fish, but obviously dont want to put another one to it's death!

Any ideas?

happymoggy1

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Norfolk, UK
just so you guys dont think i'm heartless, I'm not sure how I got a smiley face after 'has just died' as we're a bit upset about him.

happymoggy1

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Norfolk, UK
The temperature of the tank 27.5C.

We've just done some water tests, the nitrite is 0.25ppm mg/l, the amonia is 0.25ppm mg/l and the nitrate is 4 parts per million.

Do you think it's worth ringing the place up we bought him from (Pets at Home) and asking their advice - as they did say we have a 7 day guarentee on the fish.

happymoggy1

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Norfolk, UK
coolwade said:
Nitrite and ammonia seems high... Needs a Water Change.
God that's a bit worrying then, as the readings for the nitrite, nitrate and amonia that I put down, are on the first segment of the measuring card, of which the card has at least six segments going higher.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store