Canister Filter reviews?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
I can't find a site that has a large amount of filter reviews.
The way these filters are sold here are all minus the manual and without much information.

Specifically, I need to choose between a

JEBO 950 ~400,000 won
Eheim 2224 ~ 250,000 won
Tetra EX Power 90 ~ 200,000 won
Jaqno 2202 ~ 190,000 won
Hydor 30 ~ 190,000 won
Hagen Fluval 304 ~ 249,000 won

I'd like to find their specs and such and hopefully a product review somewhere. But all I can find info on is the Eheim and Hagen.

sardesign

AC Members
Sep 28, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'd say go with Filtstar or Eheim... but that's just my opinion.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I'm just going to copy and paste something I wrote a few minutes ago in another thread:

"Personally, I think any of these filters are equally as good a choice as the last. To be honest, my feeling is that quality filtration is quality filtration. Once you're using a good filter, the differences between one brand and the other is so miniscule that it really doesn't make a darn difference.

I've come to this conclusion because everytime I see one of these threads, or I read reviews on epinions.com, there never seems to be a general consensus of which filter is truly "the one." That can only lead one to believe that filtration is filtration, so long as you're using good products. My suspicion is that the only difference from one filter to another would be price, design, features and media options. That makes it an entirely personal choice. But as far as filtering your tank and allowing you some control in media, all of these filters will do that for you. I would challenge anyone on this forum to setup a room of tanks with all the same parameters, run a different filter on each tank with the same media, and then show me any seriously vital difference in water quality from tank to tank. Of course I could be wrong, but that's what such experiments would be for; and maybe we'd finally be able to settle this filtration discussion once and for all, though I'm sticking with my hypothesis that a good filter is a good filter."

So I'd say just consider your needs (media options, space, price) and pick the one that seems to do the best for what you want. I personally love my Fluval. But that doesn't mean you will.

The only suggestion I would make in regards to your list, is to avoid the Tetra as they are generally not known for being well-built. I would only avoid the Hydor because everytime I post a question about their products on the forums, no one has any answers. (They could be the best filters in history, but no one would know because they don't seem to use them!) Eheims and Jebos I think are a little bit hyped and slightly overpriced. It's sort of like a Mercedes thing: people get this idea in their head that because they bought something fancy and European, it's somehow far superior to an old Honda or Toyota. Truth is that mechanically, it's all the same. That's why I suggest Filstars and Fluvals. They do everything quite well, are reliable and quiet, and give you a good bang for your buck.

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
My brother uses a Filstar with great success. I use a used Fluval 304 that I bought from a friend. It had no instructions but I found them online adn they were easy to follow. It seems quite fine and very quiet to me. Basically you want something that has large media capacity.
You say that you can find manuels for Eheim and Fluval. Well they are both fine choices, the eheim being more well thought of. I think that either would be a good choice for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store