fake marine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
i've asked questions about all this before, but becasue of moving house etc i've never got around to doing anything.

i've now been told that i have to have my fake marine in the living room, so it will be a 4ft tank, probably 48x15x20 or close to.

questions

what is best exturnal filter for 4ft tank?
best lighting? - no plants but want it to look like marine
so which blubs K number etc?

fish! it's either going to be tanganyikas or malawis plus a RTS cause i thing they would look great in fake marine setting and a bristlenose to keep algae down and i have one in a 10g which would be happier in a larger tank.

1 idea
lemon cichlids
shellies
Julies - masked
RTS

2rd idea
p. acei x3
yellow labs x5
others unsure?

tank will be setup with coral sand ocean/limestone rocks with shells such as turbo snails.

any other ideas or pictures

What fish would you use in fake marine.

cheers shekoi

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
reiverix said:
For what it's worth, I think it would look really unnatural with fake corals and FW fish.
Me, too, but it's her tank.

Have you checked your tap's pH and KH yet? I wouldn't throw corals and marine stuff into a tank without checking that first, cichlids or no.

Just a thought,
Roan

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
it's not going to have corals

it will be a cichlid tank loads rocks etc, but have marine lighting, blue background, no plants etc.

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0401.php has some examples
i've seen many like this and even helpped build a smaller scale one for a friend. a shop in Chester has a 8ft one setup up with parrot cichlids and other large fish looks fantastic.

Another thing - i'm not a she - shekoi comes from a program that put my nickname (sheeny) and favourite fish (koi carp) together as a username years ago and i've kept it for the forums i use.

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Oh, well, I apologize for thinking you were a she. Wasn't the user name at all, just seeing things :)

Shekoi said:
. . .tank will be setup with coral sand ocean/limestone rocks with shells such as turbo snails. . . .
Coral sand and limestone rocks will raise the pH. You should really check your pH and KH and use that to determine whether this idea is even feasible.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store