Bottom feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
What is a good bottom feeder for a 10 gallon tank? My fish don't seem to eat the food that goes to the bottom of the tank very much. They just let it fall and go after the food at the top of the tank. I was thinking of a cory catfish but they need to be in groups right?

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Depending on the other fish you might have and filtration system, you could add a couple or corys.

When you plan your stock you must not only pay atention to the adult size of the fish you are putting it there, but also to the swimming habits. If you have small hi-level swimmers, they should not interfere a lot with the cories.

Post your other fish and filter. You'll get a better answer from the folks around here.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Well I've a two mollies, two swordtaisl, a danio and a betta fish in there right now. The swordtails aren't very big. About 2 or 3 inches. I've had them for about 6 or 8 months now and they haven't really grown a whole lot. I have a whisper 10 filter. I'm thinking of getting a different filter for it. I was thinking of getting a small shrimp. So it wouldn't take up a lot of room. I would like to get a 20 gallon tank sometime.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I believe you are over the stock limit for that tank. Getting a 20 would be fine for them, the 2 cories and nothing more.

A tank full of fish can look pretty, but your fish need room to swim and sometimes they need to claim a part of the tank as "mine".

If possible, get a 20, give it a correct cycle and givethe fish a new home. Right now, you should not add any more fish to that tank.

Hope this is helpful to you. Se ya.

pbrack

GO SENS GO!
Oct 8, 2005
Do you think you might be able to bring back the danio? Since they too like to stay in a school (4-6 fish). If I were you, I'd bring back the danio (I'm guessing a zebra, right?) and replace it with a few extra cory's, since they too like to remain in schools of about 6.

Hope this helps

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I moved my zebra danio into my goldfish tank. I've read that they can live with goldfish. I can't return the zebra danio I've had him too long. The store I got the danio has a 15 day garantee and I've had him for a few months. He seems to be doing good with my goldfish. My goldfish are in a 30 gallon tank so there is plenty of room.

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
I'm sure your store will take the danio back as a donation if your not interested in keeping it.
if you do wanna keep it, you should get a few more so he can have a group.

Maybe move the betta into his own tank? I believe that would give you room for a few cories.

quakermomma

AC Members
Dec 19, 2004
El Dorado, CA
Just curious, how has the betta been with your mollies? I tried to put my betta in with a few platties and he had a fit! I'd never seen him move so fast in his whole life! But I agree with the previous posts that you're probably at your limit at this point. If you eventually get a bit more room you might consider otos. They're cute and fun to watch and stay small. Be sure to get a couple though - they love to swim about together.

Ghost shrimp are small and amusing, plus they're affordable and fit in nicely in a small tank. You might try a few of these. Make sure to build them a little cave or hiding place from the betta though or they'll disappear really quick!

By the way - I've found craigslist to be a good place to find new homes for fishes that have outlived their school. If you list them for free people will often come and pick them up within a day or so, especially if you include a photo. Just a thought.

Best wishes!

-Faith

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I suppose I could move the betta fish to his own tank. But he seems happy in there. The betta fish doesn't bother any of the other fish. All the fish get along. Well the 10 gallon tank I have was my first fish tank. I'm still learning more about fish keeping. I got the 30 gallon tank to keep my goldfish in for the winter. During the summer they are in my 80 gallon container pond. I'm hoping to get an inground pond maybe next summer or the summer after that. So I could keep my goldfish outside year round.

TetraBotia

AC Members
Nov 23, 2005
Flower1982 said:
I suppose I could move the betta fish to his own tank. But he seems happy in there. The betta fish doesn't bother any of the other fish. All the fish get along. Well the 10 gallon tank I have was my first fish tank. I'm still learning more about fish keeping. I got the 30 gallon tank to keep my goldfish in for the winter. During the summer they are in my 80 gallon container pond. I'm hoping to get an inground pond maybe next summer or the summer after that. So I could keep my goldfish outside year round.

Goldfish can survive in nearly completely frozen water. Unless that 80 would freeze solid, I would not worry about the Goldfish outside over the winter.

No on the shrimp, with those fish, IMO.

Oto's mostly want algae. I don't think they go much for old fish food, but I sure don't have any evidence to back that up.

There are pygmy cories... A Kuhli Loach or two might do a great job for you too, as they not only would eat much of the food that hits the bottom (they come out mostly at night though, if they have places to hide during the day), but Kuhli's also eat detritus (fancy name for poop)... and with your tank inhabitants, you probably have a bit of that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store