Tank cleaners with African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scottbfields

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2005
I have never kept cichlids, always kept tropical fish with 7.0 region pH
I set up a 75 for African cichlids and so now with a heightened pH I am wondering if there are any species of pleco or catfish or similar fish which will help clean the tank and survive in the higher pH level of my tank

derek681

AC Members
Nov 27, 2005
for the algae in my malawi mbuna tank i have recently added a bristlenose which for a relativley small tank are ideal as they only grow about 6in max and they are quite a hardy species the higher ph doesn't seem to bother her although she won't breed and she is an excellent little worker at keeping my tank algae free.

Cheers, Derek.

Last edited:

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
The mbuna will graze the algae on the rockwork and tank glass, its part of their natural diet. Plecos aren't really ideal for this type of biotape, they require a high about of wood in their diet depending on species. Lake Malawi does have a species of syno, but they are large, rare and sometimes expensive.

moesha

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
i have 3 syno lace cats in my mbuna tank but really if you use sand for a substrate and good filtration you dont need much of a cleaner crew bc the cichlids love the algea for themselves.

lesahli

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2005
CT
www.africancichlidforum.com
Bristlesnose plecos clean algae well and are relatively easy to breed. Albino bristlenose plecos sell for a premium in CT so fry that are raised are valuable

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Highly unlikely they would breed in an african tank.... also the algae problem is not as big an issue especially with mbuna which eat the algae almost as much as plecos.

However I do keep one in my 90 gallon just to help with the glass, which mbuna seem to ignore... they like it off the rocks the best :D

-Diana

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Diana,
I would agree the mbuna most likely will ignore the glass... but a pleco really shouldn't be forced to clean the glass either. A healthy pleco should be fed a varried diet of woods and various sinking pellets.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Very true. I used to add lettuce and other dark greens when keeping plecos... the problem is thats a treat to the africans as well. To each his/her own.

:) Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store