Do otos really only eat algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ParadoxLiz

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
www.lizmcguireonline.com
All,

I would really like to put a pair of otos in my 10g tank. Not so much for their functionality (algae eating) but cuz they're too cute to resist! :D

I have been warned, however, that they'll only eat algae and if you don't have tons of algae for them, they'll starve or get sick. (One of the people who said this has otos in a larger tank (where she moved them because there wasn't enough in her 5g and they wouldn't eat algae wafers).) I've also read that algae is helpful in acclimating them but that they'll eat algae wafers and zucchini as well...

Can anyone with experience counter or confirm some of this?

I've actually been allowing brown algae to grow on one side of this tank (on the lower half of the glass, ornaments and gravel) in hopes that this would help acclimate a pair of otos, but don't know how quickly it grows or how much of it they need, and therefore don't know if it would be enough for them long term.

Finally, this tank is not planted, no plans to adding plants (it wasn't set up for plants, so Java Fern and Moss are probably the only things that could go in there without major work - which I don't want to do on this tank). I've heard this can be a problem, but the otos at my lfs don't seem to mind eating algae off plastic plants (have observed them for some time). I do plan to get some driftwood for them as I hear they like this and it shouldn't be a problem for this tank.

Advice appreciated.

Liz

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
otos will not starve from lack of algea, they will eat wafers and flakes from the substrate. conversley, it is difficult to get otos to eat algea if an over abundance of food is available. i have also heard of otos eating the slime coat off of fish, which can become a problem. but have had no problems with mine as far as thats concerned. :dog: <-- awwww puppy

ParadoxLiz

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
www.lizmcguireonline.com
Thanks, z71silverado98. I guess I'll have to make sure there's not an over-abundance of food (at least until they clean off the algae <g>).

I just found a similar post in the newbie forum, a reply to which reminded me there's a bottom fish forum! Argh! I'll be reading over there for a while, but any other replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Mine chow on zucchini alright. I've heard the eating slime coat thing before but whether that is a myth, confusion with another fish, or a different species of Otocinclus I do not know. I've only kept the common one (O. affinis) and never had a problem...once they're acclimated ;)
:pc: <--- awwww pc :D

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Otos graze lightly on plants (leaves and roots). They are very effective at eating algae. the veggies, flake food and shrimp pellets work as part of their diets.

I have never seen one of my otos eat slime coat off another fish---depending upon which tank i have had 40+ at any one time. My guess--and it is only a guess--is that if they are eating slime coat from another fish their is a diet deficiency that needs to be corrected. probably involving protein.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
z71silverado98 said:
otos will not starve from lack of algea, they will eat wafers and flakes from the substrate. conversley, it is difficult to get otos to eat algea if an over abundance of food is available. i have also heard of otos eating the slime coat off of fish, which can become a problem. but have had no problems with mine as far as thats concerned. :dog: <-- awwww puppy
Hold the phone here. None of that is true. It's Chinese Algae Eaters that eat slime off fish, not otos. Otos WILL eat algae even if there is a lot of food.

That's what they prefer.

Feed otos zucchini, yams and broccoli as a supplement. They'll love it and over-induldge at first, then go back to eating algae and just use the veggies as a supplement or "dessert".

If in doubt, post in the Catfish and Bottom Feeders forum. Read the post about Pleco Dietary Needs. It covers almost all bottom feeders.

Roan

Last edited:

ParadoxLiz

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
www.lizmcguireonline.com
Thanks, Roan. How do your otos like their 6g? I've got a 6g with a betta in it too and have thought about putting otos in there, but I'm not sure (there's no algae (well, there was a little of the brown stuff, but that seems to have cleared up), Dart (the betta) seems content enough, don't know how he'd do with company, blah blah). Just curious.

Liz

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
a fairly well recognized source of accurate fish info on-line

faq.thekrib.com/algae.html

they did have something to say about this topic once.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
ParadoxLiz said:
Thanks, Roan. How do your otos like their 6g? I've got a 6g with a betta in it too and have thought about putting otos in there, but I'm not sure (there's no algae (well, there was a little of the brown stuff, but that seems to have cleared up), Dart (the betta) seems content enough, don't know how he'd do with company, blah blah). Just curious.
Hey, Liz! I've got two in the six with the betta, and 5 in the 36g. I had six in the bigger tank, but the Magnum HOT killed one of them :(

They like the 6, lots of algae to eat. They don't even notice when I drop a small bit of veggie in there, too busy eating algae. Betta bugs and he can be a real tyrant, but he doesn't do it a lot. They get out of the way easily and it keeps Jakers occupied and on his toes.

The five in the 36 seem happy and are doing a good job. Not as much "visible" algae, but lots more plants. They like to snack once in a while on the veggies I throw in, but aren't there a lot, so there must be a good source for them.

Dart, cool name for a betta :) If he seems happy now, I wouldn't bother. I'd save it for a time when he seems more bored.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Sully said:
a fairly well recognized source of accurate fish info on-line

faq.thekrib.com/algae.html

they did have something to say about this topic once.
Yep, I've read that before, it's an oldie. I've yet to come across anyone who actually had it happen to them. You even say it's never happened to you.

I suspect, like you do, that if an oto *did* attack another fish, it was because he was starving. Can you blame him? Any starving animal may attack another, I don't think we should penalize the entire specie for trying to survive.

There have been attack platies, but the entire specie is still considered a wonderful community fish.

Strangely enough, as I reread it, I don't see anything there about plecos attacking fish either, but I hear about it and if you visit the Catfish and Bottom Feeders here, there's a sterling first hand example. Again, the pleco wasn't getting enough food.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61342

Not trying to start an argument, just think that without concrete evidence against the poor little wee oto, we are perpetuating an undeserved myth.

My 2 cents
Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store