yellow tang is sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
:help: my yellow tang has pink spots on both sides of his tail. also the other night he ran into bubble coral. he is not eating. is he a dead fish?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Does it look like an oppen sore, or a bruise? How long have you had the fish? Tank size, parameters, tankmates?

No experience with bubbles, but I have had a number of fish get injured on other stinging corals. As long as the water conditions are good, and the damage isn't too bad, they will usually recover on their own. If other fish in the tank are picking on it, preventing it from eating, etc, you may want to remove the injured fish to quarantine where you can monitor it more closely and make sure it gets good food.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
yellow tang is sick.

:sad: the pink spots on both sides of his tail look like bruises. i have 40 gallon fish tank. just did water change, 25%. fish doesn't pick on him. i have clown fish, lawn mover blenny, 5 emerald krabs,one sifting star, and of cause the tang. he still is not eating. he tryes to get my clown fish to clean him, because every cleaner shrimp i buy dies before an attempt to clean my yellow tang. out of corals i have pollips, which haven't been comming out last few days, bubble coral, and grape coral, those two look good. i just started with corals, but i had my yellow tang for 2 years. all the parameters look fine. blenny and clown look good and eat. it's possible that there is another problem on top of coral sting. i really don't want him to die, but i have no idea what to do.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
The tanks a 40gallon

What are the water parameters? Sayn' their fine doesn't mean much, since your idea of fine might not be what others is.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
yellow tang is sick.

:huh: i'm not sure of my parameters. but the yellow tang does look like the one on the right, Mike's picture.

bluedevil

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Your cleaner shrimps keeps dieing???.. Have you every used whitespot treatment in this tank?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
If you can't test your parameters, take some of your water to your LFS and ask them if they can test it. While you're there, I'd buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH as well as a hydrometer/refractometer if you don't have one (you didn't mention s.g.) Without test kits to tell you what's happening in your tank, you're playing Russian roulette with your fish and corals.
If it's septicemia, I'd QT that fish ASAP and treat with antibiotic meds. I'm guessing something isn't right with the water - Tangs are sensitive fish, if the water quality is off they'll react pretty quickly even when other fish look okay (at least this is the case at the LFS where I work).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agree--and you may want to consider giving the tang a better home. I'm willing to bet that at least part of the problem is stress--a 40 gallon tank just is not large enough for a tang.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
I did not know about the white spot treatment. what is it? how do I do it? that's maybe the problem, the reason why my shrimps always die. I took my water for testing over to the fish store and he said that everything was o.k. but calcium and hardness were alittle high, but now it's back to normal. The guy said that these were not the reasons why my shrimps were dead. About the time my yellow got sick I had nitrates at 20. I did few water changes and now it's 5.0. I also did one treatment with maracin-two, but nothing is happening, I have to repeat the treatment. I have been doing everything possible in attempt to save my tang. It looks like I'm on the right track, but without a responce from my yellow. I'm just learning to deal with all this problems. all the way at the start my whole fish tank was wiped out by the ick, and I thought that it was going to be the only problem. but I was wrong. Also the guy at the store told me that I need to do water changes more often and don't over feed my corals. I just started keeping my tank very clean, since my tang got sick, about two weeks. I also have been searching internet for answers like mad, talking to people, but the problem is not going away. What else can I do to get him feel better?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store