Lighting a 110g Tall Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackthorne

AC Members
May 30, 2005
Brookfield, WI
Wondering what you guys would think the best lighting solution for this type of tank would be. It is a PLANTED tank.

Its my uncles tank and hes having a hard time getting good light to the bottom of this behemoth. Right now he has a coralife 4x65 with 6700k bulbs.

I called and talked to one of the guys at ahsupply and they told me that adding one of thier 96watt compacts to the setup would help a lot.

What about metal halides? Would they penetrate deeper and better, or do you guys think adding another 96 watt compact would be enough, or would compacts just not be able to penetrate this deep.

Thanks.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Metal halides are very good for planted tanks but are more expensive and generate more heat.

A 96w addition should help but what kind of plants is your uncle trying to grow?

sardesign

AC Members
Sep 28, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
4x65 should be good enough. Height won't be a factor until you reach 30+ inches. Even then the affect will be minimal. I would advise not going metal hallide unless you have the proper setup for it. They are HOT and expensive. It will melt plastic and they need more care when mounting. PC or VHO fluorescents should be good enough. I have a 100 gallon tank and use 305 watts of PC lighting (6500k, 10,000k, 5400k, 5000k). I have more than enough light. If you want to add one more or two more bulbs then it won't hurt but be sure to add CO2 and nutrients with high lighting sources.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store