Favorite Christmas Foods...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
What do people like to have for Christmas? I didn't post as a poll..I think there may be more variety here than the thanksgiving one.but maybe I'm wrong.
I like the same thing for Christmas as for Thanksgiving...turkey..dressing...potatoes...cranberries...
I like Christmas cookies..especially the decorated sugar cookies. And fruitcake. I've started making my own, you can't get the good stuff anymore that I know of.
Used to like eggnog when the local dairy made their own..it was to die for. Of course they closed...and none of the commercial stuff can compare.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
The fruit cake reminds me of the year I had to take my 80 year old grandmother to EVERY liquor store in a neighboring town to find a special wine to make her famous fruitcake. She hadn't made fruitcake in years and was going to make it that year. Here I was trolloping in every liquor store with grandma in tow looking for her booze! LOL. I found it halarious, Grandma was mortified to be "walking thru liquor stores". I really miss her. She was a funny fiesty lady. Loved her Vodka, but would never buy it herself.

Every year my two neices come over and we make glass candy. They are such a trip. My sister is NOT one for anything related to the kitchen so they come to me. We do several batches, trash my kitchen and the floor and table will remain sticky until after the new year despite numerous washings. They are teenagers now and still come to me every year (this saturday is our day) I don't know that it's the candy itself that I like, or just the fun of doing it with them and now my own children. I guess I love the tradition we have set more than the candy, but my dentist is in love with the candy! LOL. Several years ago I took him a batch because the year before I broke a tooth on the stuff and he had never heard of it. He LOVES it and thanks its fantastic candy. I think he is just "enabling" me to break another tooth!

Christmas is at my in-laws for lunch then my mothers for dinner. We are misserable round people by the time we eat at two places. Ham at the in-laws, lasagna at my moms.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Hmmm. I have several Christmas dinners (that happens to married children of divorced parents) and they all vary. Mostly the common affairs of ham and turkey and a lot of pot luck too.

When I was a kid, Christmas Eve was the bigger event. My mom's Italian family would congregate at my grandfather's house. He'd make homemade pasta (with a seafood sauce of course because you couldn't eat meat), stuffed artichoke hearts, fried eels and a bunch of other things I'm having a hard time remembering. I've never been an adventurous eater and although I tried everything at least once, under duress, I still usually stuck to eating the homemade pasta. Soooo good.

Now I mostly get excited about the cookies. I hate sugar cookie but keep me away from the sugar cookie dough. Chocolate chip cookie dough can't hold a candle to it! I'm also a huge fan of those peanut butter blossoms. You know, the peanut butter cookies with the Hersey kisses on top.

I'm getting hungry.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Egg nog is nasty. I can't stand it. Which means of course, my husband loves it. Sigh. He 'sneaks' it into the shopping cart every now and then, but it's so loaded with calories that he doesn't drink much anymore.

I agree--for me, it's more about the traditions associated with the food than the food itself. My family has fondue Christmas eve every year. For Christmas day, it varies widely--from turkey to prime rib to ham to fish. I keep trying to start a tradition of Christmas brunch with ginger waffles, fresh sausage, eggs, spinach artichoke quiche, scones with creme fraiche, mimosas, and tea but so far, it hasn't caught on. Perseverence!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
German Sand Cookies, Apple Pie, chocolate chip cookies... all sweets of course :).

I also like those little, whole chickens you can buy... I can't remember what they are called... rock chickens or something?

I get sick of turkey after Thanksgiving :).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
PumaWard said:
I also like those little, whole chickens you can buy... I can't remember what they are called... rock chickens or something?

I get sick of turkey after Thanksgiving :).
Cornish game hens, maybe?

We just had a smoked turkey breast this year--and I'm still sick of it. I can't imagine having an entire turkey!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store