!!! Big Problem!! Need Help- Fast

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
Okay, my female guppy was very pregnant before i left on a weekend vacation so I seperated her on the other half of the tank (not in a contraption or whatever just with a divider) When i got back she was waaay bigger and last night was doing perfectly fine, I have been breeding guppies for awhile now and thought for sure she would have her babies last night.

She was breathing really fast last night though, which i assumed was from being pregnant and wouldn't eat the freeze dried bloodworms or flakes. But she looked healthy and was swimming around fine.

Today she was on the bottom of the tank and had trouble swimming wouldn't move, but she just moved her fins in circles, not getting anywhere. Now the only problem is, i am almost positive she's dying and it's some kind of disease. But what am i supposed to do? I don't want her to spread the disease to any other fish, and i don't want to flush her when she's pregnant because of the babies...

any suggestions?? PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

thanks

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
to flush, or not to flush?

I just recently changed my hospital tank to a baby (fry) raising tank..and don't have another spare tank at the moment....i don't know what to do. :(

Hrafnkel

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Never flush a fish if it isn't dead. In fact, it's better not to flush them at all, I'd say.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
If you're positive she is going to die,or you can probably wait till she does die,then carefully slice her belly open and save the frys.

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
thanks for the help...both of you..but you see, I can't wait until it dies, I have some really important fish in my aquarium and the disease will spread if i leave her. Thanks for all the help, but i still need a little more imput. I have some really rare and expensive fish who i would not want to get diseased...and the disection thing to save the fry, how would that work? Wouldn't the mother have to still be inside water...and how would i do it without cutting them?

I really do appreciate your advice.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
put her in a bowl and float it in the tank....or a hang on quarenteen if you have one (I find these VERY handy for many occasions and wouldn't do the hobby without at least ONE of these things in my possession!)

I have a trio of brevis shelldwellers sitting in one of those tanks right now, with an airstone in it. If you don't have a hangon quarenteen tank, next time you're at the lfs, pick one up. It's nice to have something like that when you need it !

:)

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
If your Positive that she's going to die (like not breathing proberly or any other signs) either take her out of the tank and just hold her in the air then cut the stomach and save the babies or freeze her.

TetraBotia

AC Members
Nov 23, 2005
puppylover794 said:
thanks for the help...both of you..but you see, I can't wait until it dies, I have some really important fish in my aquarium and the disease will spread if i leave her. Thanks for all the help, but i still need a little more imput. I have some really rare and expensive fish who i would not want to get diseased...and the disection thing to save the fry, how would that work? Wouldn't the mother have to still be inside water...and how would i do it without cutting them?

I really do appreciate your advice.

I know this sounds harsh, but I would remove her, and if that means killing her, that means killing her, and if that means babies too, that means babies too. You should not assume they will be healthy anyway, as you don't know what she has... nor do we even really know if what is killing her is something that will easy spread to other fish. But why take the chance?

I don't ever have much of a qualm with removing a fish that is obviously having some problem I cannot identify from the tank and destroying it. I would rather kill one fish than have to treat and possibly lose 70. I am very leary of treating my tank with anything as I have a lot of inverts and other sensitive fish. So, while I know that not every fish that looks like it is dieing is always carrying something that will infect or affect other fish, I still just remove the fish and kill it.

Now, a long time debate in the fish world revolves around how to kill them. I think most methods are cruel and "whimpy". Flushing is not fair, and cruel, but easy for you. Freezing, ditto.

I take my fish and kill them one of two ways.

Out of tank, out of net, into running garbage disposal...

Or- out of tank, out of net, into paper towel, fold, smash.

Both are nearly instant, and absolutely have to limit suffering...

I sure would not want to be put in a freezer, or be flushed. I would rather be hit by a meteor or a bus.

jasonskillz

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
u no wuts a faster way
i say just bring her up put her in a towel n get ur butcher knife out
just chops its head off
just tat fish n ez

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
Thanks a lot everyone...but she died instantly while I was still deciding what to do with her... I couldn't leave her in there because of her disease, and If she did have any babies I was afraid they might be sick too and just spread it to the others. :(

However, this morning my balloon bellied molly (who was dalmation) gave birth to around 28-35 Black and Orange striped babies! They are adorable and so colorful, so they make-up for the loss. It's alright though because the guppy that died has had 2 litters of babies already (who are growing extremely fast-I raise them in a seperate tank) I think she was just too stressed from it all- causing the disease. But I did do an exchange on the tank, and added conditioners and treatments, all my other fish seem to be doing great and the other guppies will be ready to give birth within a week or two. :)

But again, i really appreciate all the advice, I will use it if this ever does occurr again in the future, hopefully it doesn't.

thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store