CO2 proof tubing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Is it really worth the extra money to use tubing that's claimed to be 'CO2 tubing?' Right now I have some green and regular clear tubing hooked up...

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
I've heard that it is better than regular silicone tubing. But, I've never actually seen any tests to prove this...everyone just seems to say it's better - especially the people who sell it! I'm still using that green silicone line too.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I believe the tubing you want to avoid is plastic tubing. That stuff will degard very quickly when used in CO2 injection. Silicon tubing is much better, but from what I understand, not 100% CO2 proof. It will allow some CO2 to escape, and from what I hear, also degrade over time. CO2 resistant tubing is 100% CO2 resistant, meaning it will not allow any CO2 to escape and resists being degraded.

HTH
-Richer

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by inxs
So what exactly is it made of?
That's a good question. I don't recall any retailers saying what it was made of. Most just say that it's 'special' and that it is 99% C02 resistant.

How about that John Guest tubing - like the stuff that comes on RO/DI units? Wonder if that would be any better than silicone?

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone had problems getting the silicone tubing to seal as well as the cheap stuff?

I used it with regular airline fittings and when I switched over to the silicone I found that I had leaks. I assumed it was leaking around the check valve and my seperation chamber. I had to take very small cable ties and cinch them on the fittings to stop the leaks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store