Home for False Percula Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xboxlive2020

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
1) I am not going to get an anemone because they are too hard. I was wondering what would be a good home for a clownfish? So far, these 3 fish don't have any fights. I'm hoping there won't be any problems in the future. What would be a good home for the clown? Thanks!

2) My clownfish seems to be wiggiling his tail a lot. But I read they are not good swimmers. He likes staying in one place. Is this okay?

3) Will my fish start attacking each other in teh future?

4) What is the life span for the blue-legged hermit crabs?

5) Will live algea plants help this fish-only setup?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
1. It's really hard to predict. When my clowns were spawning most actively, they had no host; just lived in a cave. Mine have hung out in zoanthids a lot, but have now completely taken to a toadstool leather. It took them several years of sharing tanks with the toadstool to move in.

2. Clowns are clumsy swimmers, and waggle a lot. Males also do a submission dance for the females, but that's more like a vibration.

3. I'd put money on the third clown taking a beating when two form a pair.

4. I have had them live a few years, but most don't seem to make it that long. I suspect that cannibalism takes a toll.

5. If you have the space and light for macroalgae, I would encourage you to keep it. Makes the tank look better, and they consume nutrients. I'm not a big fan of caulerpa, but a lot of people like it. Red sea grapes (botryocladia), hypnea and sargassum look good in a display, if you can find them.

xboxlive2020

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
My clown floats on the top at the tank at night I noticed. Sometimes I think he is dead, but he is not. :) I'll try a cave.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I've seen mine sleep upside down on it's back . Odd tends to be the norm for a lot of s.w. fish.

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
XBOX, your tank is overstocked for sure. Your clown probably swims flat at the surface so that it can see an attack coming from your damsels. Damsels are mean and too large for that tank. I would ditch the damsels and let the clown get comfortable, then eventually add a goby, sixline wrasse, or some other small peaceful fish (just one more).

I have a 10g FOWLR that hosts several snails and inverts and one TR fridmani pseudo. I will eventually move the pseudo into a larger tank, but it works for now. The Pseudochromis is too aggressive to share that small of a space with any other fish.

xboxlive2020

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
I am not going to add anything more to the tank. Currently, the clown hangs around at the top of the tank. The striped white damsel goes behind the heater then comes out and then goes behind it. The yellow tailed one swims around.

Would more decorations help?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store