Freeze dried bacteria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
the expereience of most hobbyists i know is that these 'bacteria in a bottle' do not work. many have had good results with a product called Biospira however.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
fritzyme

Actually I read of one report that said Frtiz-zyme was good, but I have no idea.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Freeze dried bacteria = dead bacteria. I have yet to see anything that will live through the freezing process.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
biospira is the only product worth buying. everything else is either the wrong bacteria, or dead.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
anonapersona said:
Actually I read of one report that said Frtiz-zyme was good, but I have no idea.
Out of interest I went to their web site:

". . .Five genera are accepted as ammonia-oxidizers and four as nitrite-oxidizers. Identified to grow naturally in both wild environments AND in the bio-filter in captive freshwater systems, Nitrosomonas (ammonia-oxidizers) and Nitrobacter (nitrite-oxidizers) are the most well known. Marine nitrifiers (Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus) are different from the freshwater nitrifiers but are closely related. Though several products claim to contain these nitrifiers, very few actually do."​

Dunno if I'd want to try a product from a company that gets the bacteria backwards and lists the saltwater as freshwater and vice versa. Even if, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and it's just a web site typo, it's a bad one.

This needs an email to the company for clarification . . .

OKay, email sent :) I also asked them how they can keep the bacteria alive if it's not refridgerated. Wonder if they will answer me.

Interesting how Bio Spira is not included in their comparison testing.

Heh.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Just a thought,

Wouldn't it be cool if someone like Happy Chem could get a hold of an appropriate microscope that could see if the bacteria are alive in those other products?

Run an analysis. Concrete evidence that those other products can't work?

Hrm.
Roan

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Roan Art said:

". . .Five genera are accepted as ammonia-oxidizers and four as nitrite-oxidizers. Identified to grow naturally in both wild environments AND in the bio-filter in captive freshwater systems, Nitrosomonas (ammonia-oxidizers) and Nitrobacter (nitrite-oxidizers) are the most well known. Marine nitrifiers (Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus) are different from the freshwater nitrifiers but are closely related. Though several products claim to contain these nitrifiers, very few actually do."​

Dunno if I'd want to try a product from a company that gets the bacteria backwards and lists the saltwater as freshwater and vice versa. Even if, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and it's just a web site typo, it's a bad one.

This needs an email to the company for clarification . . .
Roan,

The Nitrococcus and Nitrosococcus genera do in fact include marine nitrifying bacteria. Nitrosomonas is a freshwater nitrifying bacteria that feeds on ammonium (converting to nitrite), and Nitrobacter (also freshwater) feeds on nitrite (converting it to nitrate). [More recently, however, it has been shown that the principle nitrifiers in freshwater systems may in fact be Nitrospira and Nitrosospira.]
I'm not sure exactly how you think that they got their information "backwards".

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
Roan Art said:

Roan
From my past research on cycling, the nitrsomonas and nitrobacter were the freshwaster bacteria. Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus are marine bacteria in my brief search just now.

What did they mess up?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
No, it's the other way around:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62149&highlight=nitrobacter+nitrosoma
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7096&highlight=nitrobacter+nitrosoma
http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/copy of ml_biospira.asp

Here's the Marineland Research lowdown:
http://www.marineland.com/science/nspira.asp

That's why there's only been real success with Bio Spira. The others have the wrong bacteria, even if it still is alive.

Bio Spira:
PRINCIPLE INGREDIENTS: Purified water, patented and patent pending pure strains of Nitrosomonas, Nitrosospira and Nitrospira.

Seems they both have Nitrosomonas, but the big difference is in the Nitro***spiras.

Roan

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store