29 gallon setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loaf

Registered Member
Feb 19, 2003
i currently have a 75 gallon tanginkian setup thats been going good for the past 8 months. i recently acquired a 29 gallon tank and would love to do something else besides rocks, sand, and more rocks. green seems like a good color ;-) whats the best setup for a 29 planted tank? i basically want (no need) to be told what to get. everything from the lights, substrate, filtration, etc... everything. i would love to do some of the crazy plants like the grass looking stuff. thanks for your help in advance.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
With a Tang tank, you're talking hard, alkaline water, correct?

This limits things a bit.

Vallis and Amazon swords will survive this, as will Egeria densa. However, the fish will probably eat the last named. Java ferns are virtually indestructible, so should be considered.

Go for at least 1.5 watts/gallon, preferably 2. I'll leave fertilisation to others because I'm no expert.

I've never tried to plant a rift lake tank - I always imagined the fish would dig out anything I planted in there.

loaf

Registered Member
Feb 19, 2003
im not going to be planting my tang tank. i will be setting up a whole fresh new tank for a planted tank. i will probably just get using some neons and gouramies and the such for my fish. but i want the main attraction to be the plants.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
I would invest in finding some floating or rooted plants that like to float.
we keep duck weed @salvinia, money wort ect in our african tanks they end up eating it all but it takes a few weeks long enough for our planted tanks to grow more:) .
Anyway I would get plants like anubis anykind java moss-fern or the above mentioned weeds.So you can feed and filter the african tank later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store