Clownfish with Ick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogil

Gatineau, Qc. CANADA
Dec 7, 2005
Gatineau
Hi guys, I'm new in the marine aquarium world and have a question regarding one of my 2 clowns.

My tank had been cycling for 15 days when I decided to add 2 clowns in order to give a source of ammonia. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that we shouldn't dump the store water in the tank which I did... dooh... Even though both clowns look very healthy (eat a lot, the swim figorously, explore, no rubbing on the rocks or substrate) one of them has a tiny little white spot on its dorsal fin which I never noticed until yesterday (bought them 4 days ago).

I emidialty started a green malachite treatment yesterday. Now I'm wondering if I'm mistaking the white spot for something else because the fish really look happy and healthy...

What do you guys think and should I continue treatment? For how long should the treatment go on without permanently damaging the fish?

Thanks a lot guys.

Mogil

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
What are your tank levels like? You really should not have dropped the clowns in untill you levels were 0 (amonia/nitrate) I love clowns and although they are hardy and probably will survive the cycling proccess i'm sure they will be in discomfort, if there is ANY ammonia in there you need to do an immediate water change about 25%.

The white spots on the fins could well be sand, but keep your eyes open as the stress of the cycle will likly lower thier immune system

doony

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
chicago
i have two clowns with one white spot on each i double dosed them withfuran 2 stabilizerand quick cure my supplier told me put in 5 gallon bucket for 4 hours two tablets break them up and squize 15 drops in it work good for me and cost for pilss 5.49 and 14.00 for the drops.. try it but dont dump in your take it will take 6 weeks to cycle out hope this helps

mogil

Gatineau, Qc. CANADA
Dec 7, 2005
Gatineau
My ammonia/nitrite levels were 0 for both. That's why I added the fish, so that some ammonia would be created and would help the bacteria develop which is almost impossible if no source of ammonia is available...

Anyhow, the white spot is still there but the clown is still TOP SHAPE. He swims right into the strong current from the water pumps and lets himslef fly all over the place. Seems quite healthy to me but that darn spot...

Any other opinions on what this could be?

Thanks

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Marine ich is characterized by multiple specks of white about the size of a grain of salt all over the fish body. Fish also tend to scrape themselves against objects with ich.

A single white spot does not sound like ich. Could be fish lice of something similar. Can you get a picture?

And BTW, I hope you didn't have any live rock because malachite green is also used as an industrial dyeing agent. Live rock will soak that stuff up like a sponge.

mogil

Gatineau, Qc. CANADA
Dec 7, 2005
Gatineau
Clown with Ich??? see the picture

Hi guys, here is the clownfish I was talking about... that white spot is still there today even if I've added 2 doses of green malachite and raised the temp to 84 F.

When looked at closely (hard to see on the picture) the white spot has the dimentions of a grain of salt (maybe a bit bigger) and is completly round... I'm really not sure what I'm dealing with here so all the help is appreciated.

Thanks.

clown ich.jpg

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It sounds like ich but, it would be impossible to say for sure. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings by the way but, you know that you can't ever have any inverts except for stars and urchins in your tank? The green in malachite comes from a copper salt and it is quite affective as a treatment against ich. It also will pretty much nuke any other inverts you ever put in the tank except for the before mentioned varities.
It will work 100% to treat the infection ,"if it's ich anyway", but, there are so many better ways.
sorry
Chris

mogil

Gatineau, Qc. CANADA
Dec 7, 2005
Gatineau
you think that I will never be able to put inverts in there? I was thinking maybe in a couple of years but my main focus is fish... I don't have a WHOLE lot of time for this hobby and I'm away from home quite often. That is why I will probably keep it fish-only for a long while.

Thanks for the feedback though.

for futur references, what other methods do you recommend for treating Ich?

Thanks again.

mogil

Gatineau, Qc. CANADA
Dec 7, 2005
Gatineau
Don't think it's Ich

Hey guys, after 5 days the whitish spot on my clown hasn't disapeared. I had raised the tank temp to 86F and never fell off so I don't think I'm messing with Ich parasites. Other fact, the fish doesn't seem affected at all AND the white spot has gotten bigger. It now looks like a fungal or viral infection...

I bought Pimafix... anyone ever used this stuff? Apparently very mild on the fish but work well on "cottony growths" on fins... which curiously enough describes exactly what it looks like on my fish.

Any other tricks on how to get rid of this crap?

Thanks guys. It's very appreciated.

Mogil

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store