Question about topping off tanks........

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
I have a question. Im installing an R/O unit this weekend before i start my saltwater tank.

Now my question is, after you do a water change (lets say %20), do you have to adjust the PH of the water you will be putting into the tank. The same question i also have for topping off tank.

Do you guys just, heat the water for top offs and put in, and bring the salinity and heat the water for replacing a siphoned tank??

Someone told me, you HAVE to adjust the ph for top off water and water being placed in the tank after a water change.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
If you are buying a decent salt mix, it will be buffered correctly so that pH will not need to be adjusted after a water change. Assuming you have decent alkalinity (your measure of buffering capacity), then adding freshwater to the tank will have minimal effects on pH.

In my experience, directly adjusting pH is a losing game. If you have good circulation and alkalinity, the pH will take care of itself.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
mogurnda said:
If you are buying a decent salt mix, it will be buffered correctly so that pH will not need to be adjusted after a water change. Assuming you have decent alkalinity (your measure of buffering capacity), then adding freshwater to the tank will have minimal effects on pH.

In my experience, directly adjusting pH is a losing game. If you have good circulation and alkalinity, the pH will take care of itself.
Ok, thanks.

How are these salts by the way......

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=30942&category_id=3417&pcid1=2231
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=27961;category_id=3417;pcid1=2231;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=27953;category_id=3417;pcid1=2231;pcid2=

Any difference between them besides price??

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Asking about salt is always going to generate a lot of controversy. I have been using Instant Ocean for years in my tanks, but you will need to supplement Ca if you have significant growth of stony corals. Red Sea is highly suspect, with some analyses showing higher levels of NO3 and PO4 than most other brands. I have no opinion about Coralife.

Tropic Marin gets consistently good reviews.

There's a new analysis of heavy metals in ASW mixes that might interest people:
Salt Mix Analysis

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
mogurnda said:
Asking about salt is always going to generate a lot of controversy. I have been using Instant Ocean for years in my tanks, but you will need to supplement Ca if you have significant growth of stony corals. Red Sea is highly suspect, with some analyses showing higher levels of NO3 and PO4 than most other brands. I have no opinion about Coralife.

Tropic Marin gets consistently good reviews.

There's a new analysis of heavy metals in ASW mixes that might interest people:
Salt Mix Analysis
That was great!!

Instant Ocean seems to pretty good between the three, especially considering the price.

Thanks alot.

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
If you haven't set up the system yet, you may seriously want to consider installing an automatic top-off system that connects to your RO water source. If you can plumb a line from your RO water system to your sump without it being obtrusive (I ran mine up through my attic and through the wall behind the sump), it will save you a lot of time and energy from having to constantly top off, plus you'll actually be able to go on vacations and not worry about having to train a fish sitter to top off the water. They are fairly simple to install if you are handy, and it can be done for <$50.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store