Where do all the fishies go?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
In a couple years I want to begin breeding and showing bettas (I don't have the space right now) so in the mean time I am trying to gather up as much information about bettas and learn about everything that goes into breeding them. The only thing I am really haveing trouble with is, what do people that breed bettas do with all the fry. I assume they only keep the best of the bunch to breed next time, but what about the others. I understand that some are sold online but I can't imagin selling some 200+ bettas over the internet. I also understand that they will sell or give some directly to the LFSs but I live in an area with not many fish stores around. This is something I would really like to figure out before beginning to breed b/c I think it would irresponsible of me to bring hundreds of fish into the world without anywhere for them to go. Any thoughts on this? :huh:

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Another ethic question has arrived to the forum. I haven't ever bred any fish, so I can't help you here, but I'd really like to follow this thread expansion.

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
I would venture to say some are culled as feeder betta's. If their not pretty nobody is going to want them so I would have to believe that they either become feeders or are dispatched in one way or another.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yep, the culls become feeders. If you really want to breed bettas, have a tank of carnivores to take care of the weaklings and those with deformities or the ones that just don't make the grade for whatever reason. It will take less of a toll on your conscience that way than to just toss them in the trash or down the drain..etc...since Mr/Mrs predator do indeed have to eat too there's no need to feel 'bad' about it. That's the way it's done in their natural world so it's perfectly ok to make use of that method in your fishroom...the only difference being, you will be selective about it.

I gave away alot of my betta fry and sold some to the lfs...a batch of females for only .25cents each. Not much of a return for all my efforts, but I didn't do it for the dollars, just for interests sake. I enjoyed the experience, but most likely wont' be doing anymore betta spawns. My interests have expanded and right now I'm into shelldwellers.

You are very wise to check into all this before jumping right in. I commend you and wish you all the best in your efforts !!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Yes, congrats on figuring this out first. Also be aware that a lot of fish stores can't accept large shipments of fish or their regular suppliers will get upset. They can often accept small amounts without fuss but I would check well in advance.

While I haven't been actively breeding fish my cory catfish have started to have some survivors. I just had to upgrade my tank size as the school is starting to grow. If they continue then I will have to start finding homes as well. Cories make lousy feeder fish, bettas would be fine when they are small.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I was thinking about trying to get a hold of a fish supplier to see if they could take the bettas to a wider range of fish stores and this way everyone wins...I get rid of the extra bettas, the local fish stores get supplied, and thier distributers dont get upset. Does anyone know how to get a hold of a fish distributer...Ive looked online but with little success.

Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought of using them as feeder fish!

pbrack

GO SENS GO!
Oct 8, 2005
Here in Ottawa, there's a good local aquarium club, and they either trade or sell (at good prices) fish that they breed. I suggest looking locally for a club where you could post some of your nicest fish.

BELLUM

AC Members
Nov 15, 2005
Chicago
pbrack said:
Here in Ottawa, there's a good local aquarium club, and they either trade or sell (at good prices) fish that they breed. I suggest looking locally for a club where you could post some of your nicest fish.
:OT: Does anyone know if there is a club like this around the Chicago land area? I have tried to look but with little luck. I found a saltwater club but that does not help me very much.

pbrack

GO SENS GO!
Oct 8, 2005
You should ask the saltwater folks, since most people in saltwater begin with freshwater tanks! Besides, there' got to be at least 1 in chicago...it's a lot bigger than Ottawa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store