aquascaping advice, opinions, or comments

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
ive got family coming for the holidays, and though theyve never seen my tank they know i have one. no one seems to care, mostly because they all remember that stereotypical 30gal from everyones childhood that was stocked w/ a dozen or so goldfish, a monster pleco, neon gravel, no filter, and tons of algea. had to put the fish in 5gal buckets, dump the tank and scrub everything out every month just to keep the water clean for a wk.

anyway, id like to impress my family, i love the way my tank looks but im open to opinions from those who know about planted tanks. Ive asked my girlfriend what she thinks and she tells me to get some goldfish and pink rocks :idea2:

currently ive got plants scattered everywhere so they grow as fast as possible. the only plant i cannot move is the sword.

sorry for the fuzzy pics, and i wish i knew how to post an image in the body of the thread.

Last edited:

SuperiorMN

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
Duluth, MN
I think the sword you're speaking of is in the back left? It looks fine there. The plant in the lower right looks alone, and I would suggest moving some taller plants from your middle out to the side. A piece of driftwood would give it some non-green color, especially on the left side.

Otherwise, its a nice full tank. Even if the plants are "scattered" in your opinion, your relatives won't know the difference.

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
thanks.

the plant in the lower right is a crypt of some sort, the reason it is alone is because it is the only plant that has survived the output of my filter. i had some moneywort behind it, but it took a dive after i moved the tank. not sure why.

the left front had a large red crypt a week ago to break up the green, but it melted :sad:
as for driftwood, ive actually got 1 large and several smaller pieces of petrified wood in the tank. nice pieces are hard to come-by and ive been looking for more. i will however check out the driftwood stock next time im in my lfs.

Last edited:

indiginess

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
i got nothin on those links... could be a firewall thing or something.

anyone else get the 'page not found' message?

wish i could see, Dr. StrangeClaw :)

indiginess

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
got it..

compostion wise, i'd group the elodea to the leftbackcenter and rightbackcenter. and move the small foreground back a little and center.

just my opinion... the tank looks nice the way it is.

too bad you don't want to move the sword? on the right.... that really is a mid-depth centerpiece.

nice tank, though.

:cool:

indiginess

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
artistically, i'd clump the elodea(ancharis) into one group left and right center, with a fan-out effect.... seperate some strands 1 inch, 1.5, 2, 3,... apart. with a mass drawing the eye near the center, diminishing the backround effect, but maintaining presence.

but that AWESOME crypt in the center about half way back and spread the rest of the small stuff randomly around the rest of the foreground.

or shift center to the right to de-accent the sword. anything too perfectly green and center is kinda distracting.

does any of that make sense? hehe, you can be honest.

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
indiginess said:
artistically, i'd clump the elodea(ancharis) into one group left and right center, with a fan-out effect.... seperate some strands 1 inch, 1.5, 2, 3,... apart. with a mass drawing the eye near the center, diminishing the backround effect, but maintaining presence.

but that AWESOME crypt in the center about half way back and spread the rest of the small stuff randomly around the rest of the foreground.

or shift center to the right to de-accent the sword. anything too perfectly green and center is kinda distracting.

does any of that make sense? hehe, you can be honest.

so anacharis from left to center of tank starting off sparse and getting more dense towards the center group, or sparse on both ends and dense behind the sword?

ill try moving the crypt around, just to the left of the val or within the val?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store