my lil girl was finally put down.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Well last night I finally made the decision to put down my little leopard gecko. She was wasting away and really could not afford to take her to a vet. We feed her atleast 3 waxies a day until yesterday and she gained no weight and she looked far worse as she went along. Since the weather is like 7 degrees outside, I placed her in a reptile container with some paper towels and laid her outside after spending some time with her. It was a difficult choice to be made but she was suffering. I just didn't want her to die a horrid death from parasites and starvation.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I'm so sorry tricksterpup. How incredibly sad and she was such a pretty girl. You did the greatest kindness to her by helping her and not allowing her to suffer. What a difficult decision for you to make.

Once again I'm sorry for your loss.

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
update already.

Thanks folks, I do appreciate it, she was a good gecko when she was here.
Well, her tank didn't stay empty for long. It was cleaned out with hot water and soap, rinsed well. And setup for a Crested Gecko that my girlfriend wanted to get. she has had her eye on this guy for about a month now. She is pretty excited about him. At the shop I go to, I was given boxes of repti bark for no reason. (reason why I love being a regular at a local petshop) He recieved a few boxes of about 1 dry litre bags of this stuff. Pretty nice and fine crushed cyprus. So I placed in the cleaned cage along with some spagmum moss and set him in there. Its a pretty nice looking setup right now. When I can pick up a 20 gallon or atleast one of those screen cages for him, I will.

I wanted to get a 75 gallon tank for a reef and right now, it will have to sit in the basement. lol, I have to many tanks to care for right now. Getting an 18 inch Cal king snake in a few weeks, as an adoption, and my girl now wants a ball python. So it looks like my Computer room will also be the reptile room with in the next month.

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Sad to hear trickster. That's THE reason I stopped keeping iguanas. Actually geckos are not nearly as tricky, but iguanas are just hard to keep healthy unless mom and dad are lawyers and doctors (ie, $$$$).

Sounds like it may have had a nutrient defficiency? Did you use herp vitamins? I have a friend that wets the crickets and covers them with cyclo-eez powder (odd crossover but the tegu seems to adore it!).

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
Mako said:
Sad to hear trickster. That's THE reason I stopped keeping iguanas. Actually geckos are not nearly as tricky, but iguanas are just hard to keep healthy unless mom and dad are lawyers and doctors (ie, $$$$).

Sounds like it may have had a nutrient defficiency? Did you use herp vitamins? I have a friend that wets the crickets and covers them with cyclo-eez powder (odd crossover but the tegu seems to adore it!).
Mako,
it was basically a problem with either being badly impacted but she was deficating so we felt that it was a parasite issue. This does happen with Petco lizards on occassions. As for Iguanas, I never really have to many problems with mine. He is about 5 1/2 feet long and about 5 years old, give or take a year. He is a pretty good guy and fairly healthy. I have added a picture of him with my girlfriend, she holds like a cat.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Aw...sorry to hear that. I lost my leopard three years ago. I was very upset. :(

On a happy note, my son's classroom has a tank of breeding leopards. They just had babies two weeks ago. He was so excited about it.

Lila

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
TheMightyQueenPixie said:
The unpleasant side of pet ownership is this very necessary, but also very upsetting thing...You did the right thing for her...It takes alot of guts to put a pet out of its misery...Sorry to hear about your loss :(
Thanks MQP,
Yeah, in reality it took me awhile to decide to put her down. I wanted to wait a little bit longer but my girlfriend held her and saw how tiny she gotten. She was getting visibly upset.
Upset Girlfriend + wasting away gecko = painless death.

This was the first pet my girlfriend had to deal with being put down. It was very sad, cause I do get attached to my Reptiles. I had an Iguana for over 6 years and I got him as an adoption. His name was halfass. I was pretty upset when I found him in his cage dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store