DIY tank/hood questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I'm in the initial planning stages of building myself a 100galish plywood tank. I've looked over several plans on the internet, but I'm still a bit confused about how the top hood/canopy of the tank should be done.

You need glass between the lights and the water correct? I have ropefish and they are famous for escaping, so I definitely need it to be sealed as good as possible. I wouldn't want them getting into the lighting and injuring themselves.

Do people normally build their tanks to the proper size so they can equip them with commercial hoods? I've seen several hoods that are rather inexpensive. Some are just glass covers and some are full hoods with lighting included.

I've been going mainly by the plans at GARF for the 140 gal tank. Here is a picture:

That's pretty much what I'm invisioning. Do you put a groove into the plywood along the top for a glass cover to fit into? Or do you just build the glass cover into your lighting canopy?

If anyone who has built this type of tank could post some photos of how they finished the hood/canopy portion I'd appreciate it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store