Weather Loach Dying from Tuberculosis??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jec0995

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Ohio
Hi everyone,

My weather loach of 3 years suddenly (about 2 weeks ago) started swimming like his back is broken. It appears like only the first third of the body can actually bend. He is still eating...but he is very lethargic. When he goes to the top for air like he always has, he looks like he is convulsing. His swimming is so un-natural now.

All other fish in the tank are perfectly healthy. I read on another thread that this may be due to a bacteria or it could be tuberculosis? First, does anyone know anything about this. I'm almost positive he couldn't have gotten stuck in the filter intake. He's much too large and strong. I've ruled that out completely. I also seriously doubt he was injured by another fish in the tank. I've never seen him in any tussles or fights.

Second, what could I do? I've thought about putting him down but he still eats and has survived the last 2 weeks in this condition. Sometimes he just lays there and the current will roll him onto his back and it's almost like he's dead. He doesn't even seem to notice that he's on his back and his breathing will be really heavy at times. Other times he continues to swim in a strange manner but he looks a lot better. It's really quite strange.

Any info, suggestions, cures are all welcome. How would I go about putting down a weather loach that can breathe air? I've read about clove oil but it may not be the best thing for a fish that can go to the surface for air. What about freezing. I'm a graduate student studying venomous snakes and when we put down herps...it's always by freezing. Dubbed the most humane. Thanks for any info.

Jimmy

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
It may be too late to save him but if you want to try, you can try using Maracyn 2. It works very well. I have been able to stop bacterial dropsy with it.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
My last Weather loach died that way, I miss them terribly, I dont know what caused it, all my paramiters are all good and now tested every other day. It stinks

jec0995

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Ohio
Beeker said:
It may be too late to save him but if you want to try, you can try using Maracyn 2. It works very well. I have been able to stop bacterial dropsy with it.

Can I use that with clown loaches?? I have 4 of them in that tank. I don't have another tank to put him in.

Do you guys have any idea what this may be? I'm stumped. :help:

Thanks,
Jimmy

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Make sure you get the one for Freshwater fish. There is one for Saltwater fish or one for Freshwater fish.
Ideally you should quarantine the sick fish and just medicate him.
But, I can tell you my experience. I used it on my goldfish. I have 8 of them in one tank and 2 or 3 had the beginnings of dropsy. I medicated the whole tank because I don't have a big enough tank to separate them. They are all fine.
That was my experience, but the ideal situation is to quarantine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store