Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-01-2006 8:26 PM
    Now I have to wonder if there is a double meaning in somethingsphishy.com's name or if its just ironic.
    "It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. It's a problem of motivation"

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    03-09-2006 1:39 PM
    That's strange because I was sold a "neon blue jack" and he looks nothing like yours. I know that colors vary but I've attached pics of mine who is more white with brown and black spots versus the darker colors. It's still a juvenile and about 8 months old.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-09-2006 7:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowerhorn916
    Usally a good electric blue is around 40+ next time just ask the lfs to order some and you can pick out the best ones they never had a problem doing it for me. I have 3 right now I have had for mabey 4 months and they are around 2.5-3" my ? is do they grow as big as a reg jd?
    to answer your jd growth question, Yes they do grow to the same size as a regular jd. My friend has1 and it's about 6 in. and the color is real intense. I last saw it less than a week ago, and it was as blue as an electric blue hap. When I saw it before that, which was about 8 months ago it was about half an in. smaller and it wasn't as blue. I guess they grow real slow. They do best in a community tank, which his is in right now.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-23-2009 7:57 PM
    I think this fish is an EBJD, it does appear to carry the recessive gene. What has started to happen I have noticed is that there are different degrees of how blue these fish are. They are now being breed by many people and the original perfect blue has been compromised. On the bright side these fish are usually stronger and closer to regular Dempsey's, so they live longer and are more aggressive. The crooked mouth is not a good thing. Red parrot cichlid do alright with a crooked mouth. I would not buy fish through the mail. You never know what you will get. I DO RECOMMEND ordering from Jeff Rapps, Tangled up in cichlids online otherwise pick one out at your favorite store, it is worth the extra money. mrdemsey

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-15-2014 11:05 AM
    I think this thread is more than 3 years old.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Gabriel (Gabe)
    Last Activity
    12-08-2014 8:46 PM
    Blog Entries
    Wow from 2005 lol but still same applies its better to just bite the bullet and buy from a well known source like Jeff Rapps.

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    12-01-2009 1:50 PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vaderbanger View Post
    i dunno but i think i got ripped off when i purchased my electric blue jack dempsey online. i wrote about his horror story in my other post, but hes doing ok and very vigorous. he does have a semi deformed mouth though, its off on one side, almost like the way a stroke victim would look like. he eats well but he needs very tiny pieces.
    i attached some pics, and what do you guys think? he doesnt look like an electric blue does he? did they send me a regular JD? he does have a slight more color than a reg JD but he is no way "electric"
    hes very small only about an inch
    so whatta ya think?
    When I first got my baby EBJD's they looked just like that, and it almost looks like a female, they tend to be duller and browner when they are smaller, hope that helps, I think it IS an EBJD!!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-29-2012 1:55 PM
    Haha, dug up from the grave after 3 years...and then again 7 months later.

On this actual topic though, not that it probably matters, but an EBJD is not a fish I would buy online (that is if I bought one at all). There is so much inbreeding involved in creating them that at LEAST 50% of the ones I've seen for sale in person have missing parts of/whole fins, deformed mouths, deformed eyes, shortened bodies, etc. If I was in the market for one, I'd hold out to find a really nice one and see it in person before I paid a cent for it.
    Cichlids: Albino tiger oscar-Green sev-Uaru-2 Festivums-4 F0 Geophagus abalios-Geophagus sp. "Bahia Red"
    Primitive fishes: Ornate bichir-South American lung
    1.0 Peninsula Cooter, 1.0 Yellow-Belly Slider, 1.0 Stinkpot
    5 Caribbean Land Hermit Crabs

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-18-2014 2:26 PM
    I think you just did. I would be interested in seeing the fish down the road to find out if the blue has spread to the body and what happens to the dark markings. You may have a new morph The markings remind me of the ones the female gets while caring for eggs, but this fish is way too small for that.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-30-2012 5:06 PM
    Blog Entries
    I believe that it looks like a electric blue. Have you told the seller the problems you have had with the mouth and not all the coloring you wanted?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information