Black GhostKnife with Clown Loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Has anyone heard about putting these fish together and/or can it be done?

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
i kept clown loaches and a BGK in the same tank. They even cohavitated in the same cave.

I hope you have an incredibly large tank though.

The BGK is a fish that hits about 2' TL.

The Clown loaches are a schooling fish. You should keep at least 6 of them together, They grow to over 12" TL.

So, you have 7' of fish when they all reach maturity. And, to get them to reach maturity without deformed bodies and fins you need to give them lots of room to swim. I would not consider the BGK if you have anything less than a 225.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I am setting up a 125 gallon (36"x33"x24"). From what I read the clowns average 6" at adulthood and the BGK is one of the smaller ones in the family and rarely get to 18". According to my tank dimensions I can hold approx. 90 - 100in. of fish, of course it all depends on filtration, kind of fish, etc.
I am building my tank around the loaches, so just figuring out what would look the best and the coolest!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
yeh, it must depend on the tank, water parameters, tank mates, etc.
??? :confused:

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Adult BGK should attain a length of at least 18'', I would think, when kept properly. So yes, size does depend on the level of care... but so does health. Poorer conditions would be harmful to a fish's health.

IMO, your tank is not large enough for a BGK and the clown loaches.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Clowns can get to 6" in 5 years. (I have heard that they can be powerfeed and reach that size in a year or 2).

Clowns can live for over 40 years and get to 18" in length. A thick fish indeed and a potential tank buster.

They'd do well in a 125g for probable 5 years, but they will need something much bigger to have a long healthy lifetime.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I WAS basing my tank around clown loaches cuz I thought a 125 would be plenty big. hmmmm. Any suggestions on what would be great for a 125? :sad: :huh: :confused:

alex818

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
Glendale, California
kooter said:
Has anyone heard about putting these fish together and/or can it be done?
I have a 10 inch black ghost with a 4 inch clown loach in my tank right now. Ive had them both for almost a year and they too share the same cave. No problems here :)

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
kooter said:
I WAS basing my tank around clown loaches cuz I thought a 125 would be plenty big. hmmmm. Any suggestions on what would be great for a 125? :sad: :huh: :confused:
Clowns are my favorite. You should get clown loaches if that's what you want. They can do very well for atleast 5 years in a 125. You can probably keep them there for 10-15 years if you take good care of the water.

Finding healthy clowns can be a very difficult task itself. If you do find healthy clowns, get up to 6 of them if you can. It's best to get an entire group of them all at the same time, from the same LFS, and from the same tank. If you mix and match them from different suppliers your more than likely to end up with bad parasite problems.
I wish you the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store