Question about heaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MoparORnoCAR

It's our struggles that define us.
Dec 8, 2005
LaCrosse, WI
First of all I want to thank all of you for all the help you guys have been, I have lurked and read all over the boards and have gained a TON of new knowledge! I went to the library this weekend and found three good books on fishkeeping and read them all front to back! then, on sunday I visited my three local fish stores to see who had the best looking stock. BTW we have a brand new petsmart out here and there tanks were in EXCELENT shape, but I am still hesitant to purchase from a large retailer.luckily there are two LFS that have a good selection and friendly staff.

On to my question....I will be getting and ECLIPSE 29 gal. set-up but it does not have a heater included...from what I have read the bottom heater systems are superior because of the placement and even flow of warm water....for the price does it make that big of a difference to go with the bottom heater or do the traditional heaters suffice if placed in the right spot?? any suggestions on placement or brands would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in adavance

Nick

indiginess

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
if you are going to go with a traditional heater, place it near the filter outflow and you should be fine. many will recommend two smaller, less powerful heaters to lessen the chance of catastrophic failure, but if you check your temp every time you feed, you should be able to catch any weird swings.

one more thing... spring for the glass thermometers, the internal ones with the suction cup. well worth the extra buck or two vs. the sticker types.

good luck, and welcome to AC.

:cool:

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
I have only had experience with heaters attached to the side, placed near the filter flow to circulate warm water around. Opposing sides of my 30g have thermometers, both read the same temp, so I guess it is even.

I just purchased Aquarium Systems visitherm stealth, which was highly recomended on internet opinion places and by those who used them on this forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store