Dead ghost shrimp in a beta tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wickedmax

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
i have a beta fish - raphael - in a one gallon and got a couple of ghost shrimp to go with him. Left the light on (my heater) for a couple of hours and I think one of the shrimp got stuck under the rocks (sand substrate with river rocks on top) and he overheated at 81 degrees and I came home to a grilled shrimp. Interesting...I know the betas like the temp around 75-80 but didn't know it would cook the shrimp. So sad. Thinking about giving the beta an african dwarf frog (no claws) as a little buddy.

I guess the only question i have is, do the shrimp need a specific food, or do they just feed off of the waste and algae in the tank. I guess it was my fault for not asking this BEFORE I got them, but hopefully I can change whatever I need to so that the 2nd one will pull through. Thanks guys!

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
you shouldnt mix raphiel with betta, one of them will hurt one another. Raphiel are tempermental and need atleast 10 gal when they are growing, I have 3 in a 55. I would remove the raphiel to a diff tank for starters, grind some of your fish food (flake) to a fine powder and put it in the tank, a little will do, you dont want to foul your water

wickedmax

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
didn't mean to be confusing, my betta's name is Raphael. it is just him and one ghost shrimp, and hopefully and african dwarf frog in a few days

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store