Broken Center Brace

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
The center brace on one of my 55g is cracked where it meets the edge of the tank. It isn't completely broke, but it is definantly split and the tank is bowed slightly at the top. How serious is this? How can I fix it? If this is serious I need to know because the tank is in my room next to my bed, and it contains a pair of priceless fish.

Thanks

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
It is a pretty serious problem. The glass will eventually buckle and the seam will fail.

Too remidy this you can try a couple of different techniques. The easiest would be to buy a bar clamp and clamp it temporarily, then apply a two part epoxy to the cross brace. Give it about 48 hours to bond.

Other ideas would be to contact the manufacturer (www.all-glass.com most likely) and have them send you a replacement top brace. You would likely need to drain out half of the water to do it, but it will be extremely secure when you finish.

I have tried using all sorts of other glues and bonding agents such as weld-on without success.

Your final option would be to replace the tank. As you said yourself, the fish are priceless. I wouldnt have too much of a problem spending $100 to gurantee they are in a solid tank. Maybe now is the time to upgrade to a larger tank also.

HTH

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Its broke. How long until I HAVE to do something? Will it be ok until tomarrow morning? I'm afraid to go to bed. Oh this sucks.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Ive heard of them going over a year with no problems. Then one day, boom, and you have 55 gallons of water and some dead fish on the floor...

ThirdEyE- Be careful of the fact that some 55 gallon tanks use thicker glass and do not need a center brace. If the tank did have one it is quite important structurally.

Two Tanker

AC Members
Feb 12, 2003
Auburn, AL
Visit site
I just replaced the whole top piece on my 55 gallon tank last Saturday. I contacted All-Glass and they sent me the whole top piece, for $8.10 shipped! It wasn't that big of a deal, taking the old top off was the hardest part. Then just silicone the new piece down and let it sit over night.

JEFF

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Thanks everyone, this has been a tremendous help. I have the tank clamped together now and feel that would hold it forever, but it looks stupid. I have contacted All-Glass and will order the new cross brace tomarrow morning.

Thanks
Rex

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
I finally got around to ordering it. And guess what, it was free! I really have no idea why it was free, especially since everyone else I've talked to have had to pay for theirs. She asked several questions and got my name, address, and phone number. Then she said they would send it soon. When I asked if there was a charge she just said no.

Thanks again for all the help.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
They sent mine free also came with a tube of silicon:D
Now will they be so nice this week when I order 2-55 rims and 2-30L rims.
BTW any one know if the top and bottom are the same peice I'm sure they are but I've been wrong before:rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store